Home » Audio » General » An observation from GPAF
Yeap, two words...... [message #1654 is a reply to message #1649] Thu, 05 May 2005 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ashlee Simpson

Wo. [message #1655 is a reply to message #1651] Thu, 05 May 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
I have become accustomed to you doing a job of cheerleading (not an unneeded job, I do not judge) around here, and then you say this. It is an exposition worthy of Joe Roberts (or Chuang Tzu) at his best.

Self deception; generally, a thing to be avoided.

Audio systems; specifically, self deception at its best.

All my brothers who have clicked this far, go back one post and read Wayne's statement again. Read it twice.

Aloha,

Poinz

Re: An observation from GPAF [message #1656 is a reply to message #1631] Thu, 05 May 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It is an interesting question, isn't it? Same thing with beauty. While we all agree on some "universal absolutes," it is hard to pin down the reasons why we all agree. Some research indicates beauty requires symmetry, and there is evidence that we like certain ratios too. Some have said that we pick up clues from shape and symmetry, ratios that indicate fitness to us. So maybe it's a little bit of a limbic system thing, essentially an emotional response.

I think that probably applies to sound too. There are clues we pick up in the sound, and some are universal to all of us. But there are some things that each of us favor a little more than others. We all probably would dislike a grossly distorted signal, but when it gets closer to being accurate, one may prefer a little more bass, another likes a more pronounced midrange, things like that. We as engineers should probably strive to make our equipment as accurate as possible, but the subtle diferences will be what make some men prefer blondes and the others drawn to brunettes.

Anyone Know A Good Therapist? [message #1661 is a reply to message #1631] Fri, 06 May 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just an observation about speaker preference differences between the two audio groups I'm active in.

The Houston Audio Society members prefer a speaker with low distortion, good detail retreival, and an accurate octave-to-octave tonal balance. The amps we use, tube or solid state, usually are powerful and high efficiency (in the speakers) is not an important goal. I may visit a HAS member's house and hear his $20K system with Innersound electrostats and marvel at the clarity and resolution.

The Lone Star Bottleheads gravitate toward lower power amps, therefore high efficiency speakers are valued. The most frequently seen speakers are single driver speakers, vintage speakers, and multi driver high efficiency speakers. The Bottleheads' speakers have less detail retreival and usually have some peaks in the treble range. At a Bott meeting I may hear a diy single driver speaker with a $10 Radio Shack driver (hooked up to a 2 watt amp) and cringe at the brightness and lack of detail but marvel at the clarity and coherency of the midrange and the soundstage.

I have occasionally felt the need for psychotherapy as I move between these groups, but instead of spending my money on an expensive shrink I just buy more speakers of both types.

Re: Convincing Illusion [message #1662 is a reply to message #1651] Fri, 06 May 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Persuint to this thought is one I have just read on the Joelist which says;
We accept that buildings and wire and weather etc. all affect the performance of music but we don't allow for the same forces in our reproduction of music.
Nice to see this thread rise above the usual sophomoric standard replies we get with these types of discussions.

Re: An observation from GPAF [message #1664 is a reply to message #1641] Fri, 06 May 2005 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barry Solof is currently offline  Barry Solof
Chancellor
OK, I've re-read my post and it is a bit confusing. Let me try to clear it up a bit.

>Who was it that you consulted that offered these contradictory observations?
What did you find to be the most glaring or obvious difference of opinion?

Just asked folks who where at the show what they'd heard that made them happy. Some folks liked the rooms that had ultra-detailed treble and others like rooms that had mellow treble. Some folks loved bass you could feel and others were happier with bass that wasn't so strong but perhaps a bit more natural. It floored me that there were so many differences of opinion.

I'd like room A, somebody else liked room B and another person liked room C. It explains why there are so many pieces of audio equiment and why so many other them sound so different. We all seem to have different taste.

>What were your expectations upon attending the show?

Wanted to hear high efficiency speakers and low powered amps. The audio folks in my area are into huge amps and low efficiency speakers and GPAF was a chance to hear another side of audio technology.

Listening to a lot of equipment got me thinking about the speaker/room and speaker/amp relationships. Clearly some of the speakers were "supersized" in the small rooms. Just as clearly, some of the speakers did better with tubes, some did better with solid state and others didn't seem to care a lot what they got plugged into.

It sure was a great learning experience.

Re: Anyone Know A Good Therapist? [message #1665 is a reply to message #1661] Fri, 06 May 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barry Solof is currently offline  Barry Solof
Chancellor
>> I have occasionally felt the need for psychotherapy as I move between these groups, but instead of spending my money on an expensive shrink I just buy more speakers of both types.

Very well said, Fred. I think we all just need more speakers.

Many thanks for the hospitality at the show.

Re: Anyone Know A Good Therapist? [message #1666 is a reply to message #1661] Fri, 06 May 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Therapy by definition restores emotional equilibrium. How can one entire group prefer one type of sound? Is it indoctrination?
I love the way some posters leave a post that is obviously intended to cause some controversy then disappear when they are called to explain. Not you Fred you're a reasonable guy; but I notice the attention seeking behaviour occurs frequently on audio forums; that is the personality trait that requires therapy.

Re: An observation from GPAF [message #1667 is a reply to message #1664] Fri, 06 May 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That makes sense. I have avoided shows for that reason; it just isn't possible to provide proper listening conditions. But what I got out of your post was that you seemed to feel there was some conscious bias involved. Was that right; I mean it's certainly possible that people tend to develope some personal agenda and defend it as a matter of course despite what they really are hearing. That is what I suspect and your post brought that out which is why I enjoyed reading it.
Any chance you had that possibility in mind?

Re: Anyone Know A Good Therapist? [message #1668 is a reply to message #1661] Fri, 06 May 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That's 2 extremes you've touched on, Fred!
It's fun to listen to both types, expcet I get to hear very few $20K setups.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Might be amusing
Next Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads - June 11
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 16:05:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers