Home » Audio » Speaker » Distortion mechanisms
Re: CD versus H/LD [message #17612 is a reply to message #17607] Mon, 28 February 2005 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Yes the speakers are for sale and they can be heard in either Ann Arbor (my home) or New Orleans. My pricing strategy does no allow for luxuries like loners. I want to keep the price as low as possible and not gouge the customer, but that means I can't offer the "nicities" that the gougers offer.

Re: CD versus H/LD [message #17613 is a reply to message #17611] Mon, 28 February 2005 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Well actually it might be easier than you think, but I still doubt that it will ever be done. Almost no one actually does blind listening tests with a large number of subjects (prefered to trained subjects for variuos reasons) because they are so hard to do.

I am in the process of doing two studies aimed at understanding some details of sound perception, but the question that you ask - LD versus HD seems so obviuos to me that I am not too interested in doing it. Once you heard a HD CD system properly setup I think that you too would also agree that such a test is not really needed.

If the question that you are asking is what HD is optimal, 45°, 60°, 90° etc. then I can agree that would be an interesting test. But to ask if 90° is better than 360°, I think thats a no brainer.

Re: CD versus H/LD [message #17614 is a reply to message #17612] Mon, 28 February 2005 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hopefully we can meet at some time!

-akhilesh

And what about tubes ? [message #17622 is a reply to message #17575] Wed, 02 March 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Mainardi is currently offline  Eric Mainardi
Chancellor
Can somebody explain the success of tube amps ? It's probably the best distortion source in a system !
I don't like provocation but I would like to understand...

Re: And what about tubes ? [message #17624 is a reply to message #17622] Wed, 02 March 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think a lot has to do with nostalgia. The better tube amps are very atractive. People that are over 40 years old can remember tube radios and amplifiers, and it is nice to see them again. Americans also love classic automobiles when they are restored and made beautiful. The flowing graceful lines and large polished chrome bumbers and trim are verty much like art.

There is also the matter of types of distortion. Tube amps generate mostly second and third harmomnics. Class A tube amps generate mostly second, which most agree sounds more natural than say seventh. Class AB tube amps generate mostly third, which is still fairly low. When the amp nears clipping, the output reduces gain as it approaches the peak, sort of like a built-in compressor. So the edges are rounded and sometimes it is hard to hear the onset of clipping with a tube amp. You notice it when you really press into clipping, but the start is barely noticeable. So I think these are the things that attract people to tubes. The beauty and the character.

I've grown to really enjoy nice tube amps. I love the looks and the sound. But if pay attention only to the music and the amp is kept well below clipping, a nice solid state amp is wonderful. I have some excellent solid state amps that produce very pure sound and a lot of power, more than I ever could expect from tubes. So that is important to me also.

You'll notice that many of the same people that are die hard SET lovers have been attracted to the very inexpensive digital amps. These are opposite ends of the technology spectrum, so I think some just like to be on the edge. They like what is unique. They are probably attracted to sound qualities too, but I think the novelty aspect cannot be overlooked.

And there's the aesthetics too. When a piece of equipment is like art, the beauty will capture you. There can be a beauty in simplicity, a plain black chassis with no controls. But when you see a chrome chassis with black accents and tubes glowing, the amplifier becomes art in light. I'm sure that grabs as many tube converts as anything else. If it looks like that and sounds good too, it has a very sensuous allure.

Best of both worlds [message #17625 is a reply to message #17624] Thu, 03 March 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Tubes do, in my experience, produce euphonic coloration that can be very appealing. At the same, time tube amps are a megabuck experience if you need anything greater than modest power output (and lately even some mini-watt amps cost as much as a new car).

In the past I've run a tub pre-amp with a sand power amp - the result is the "tube sound" without the high $/watt penalty.

Another link [message #17626 is a reply to message #17624] Thu, 03 March 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I agree Wayne! Tube amps are a lot like older cars. Fun & involving!
Here is another link that describes why tube amps may be better than at leas tthe earliest sand amps!
-akhilesh

Some useful links [message #17631 is a reply to message #17575] Fri, 04 March 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Mainardi is currently offline  Eric Mainardi
Chancellor
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/techtalk/dist_sound/index.htm

http://www.pcabx.com/technical/index.htm

Re: Some useful links [message #17632 is a reply to message #17631] Fri, 04 March 2005 02:59 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those are good links, thanks!

Akhilesh was telling me he found a webpage that had wav files of distortion. I'll bet the http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/techtalk/dist_sound/index.htm page was it. The other page, http://www.pcabx.com/technical/index.htm is very good too.

Previous Topic: Vott 210 and slot cars
Next Topic: Pro Sound Driver Sensitivity
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:07:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout