Home » Audio » Speaker » Altec
Altec [message #16926] Fri, 03 September 2004 12:47 Go to next message
LnL is currently offline  LnL
Esquire
Hi,
Vintage Altec and JBL have a lot in common.
What would you say are their differences?
Can I use JBL parts in Altec cabinets and vice versa?
LnL

Re: Altec [message #16929 is a reply to message #16926] Fri, 03 September 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
This simple explanation is that JBL speakers are really designed for bass-reflex cabinets and horn loaded tweeters, while Altec woofers like horn loaded cabs. The woofers are basically not easily interchangable.

Re: Altec [message #16931 is a reply to message #16926] Sat, 04 September 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI,
I'd measure them first for parameters. If the parameters are similar, then you can interchange.
-akhilesh

Re: Altec [message #16933 is a reply to message #16926] Sat, 04 September 2004 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
That's not unusual, since Jim Lansing was the head designer of both outfits, first at Altec, which eventually became called Altec-Lansing, and then JBL. The drivers are very similar and since they were pre-T/S all the boxes they went into were empirically designed. With some tweaking to account for the differing specs of different drivers there's a lot of interchangability options. The main difference is that the older Altec designs tended to use Alnico magnets, while the later JBL drivers tended to use ferrite, which came into common usage only after WWII.

Re: Altec [message #16936 is a reply to message #16933] Sun, 05 September 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Is it true that JBL drivers have a high BL no. therefor prefer bass reflex loading? I just assumed due to there being no front horn loaded JBL in my experience while most Altec woofers appear in front horn loaded cabinets. And the Altecs favoring larger cabs in the 8/9 cu. ft. range while JBL's somewhat smaller 3/6 cu. ft. seems to predominate in home speaker applications.
Even the JBL home 15" D 130's are rather different than 2226h/j's in their specs. I only ask since there seems to be varying opinions on how each driver should be used over the past 40 yrs of experimention.

Re: Altec [message #16942 is a reply to message #16936] Tue, 07 September 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
JBL drivers were used extensively in horn loaded cabinets, but they were professional models seldom seen by the public (as they were mostly hidden behind theatre screens) and were never actively promoted for home usage, as opposed to the Altec A7, for instance.

D130s, as well as the rest of the D series and E series, were all originally designed and marketed as musical instrument drivers, with their aluminum domes intended to extend the midrange response. There were/are many cases where the D and E series shared their frame and motor structures with other models that had different specs for different applications.

Re: Altec [message #16943 is a reply to message #16942] Tue, 07 September 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thank you. The Altec 515 series and 416 series: The 416 has usable energy up into the 4k rangs as opposed to the JBL which rolls off around 2k. Is that correct? I expect this might help our poster on this thread. While the 515's are expensive and really need to be horn loaded. I use those as example since they are readily available.

Re: Altec [message #16944 is a reply to message #16943] Tue, 07 September 2004 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Back when I used them in the '70s I greatly preferred Altec 416s to JBL E130s for the reason that the Altec ran about an octave higher. The 515 is good for horn loading, but it's Qts/Fs figures aren't too skewed to make it unusable in a reflex box. The biggest problem with many of those old Altec drivers is the very large Vas; remember, these were empirically designed to operate best with reflex sections that had large ports (equal to Sd or larger) with no ducts, and therefore really big rear chambers. The JBLs had smaller Vas, so they could in theory use smaller boxes, but very low Qts figures as well, so in order to get bass out of them they ended up in large volume jammed alignments anyway.

Re: Altec [message #62891 is a reply to message #16926] Wed, 26 May 2010 18:54 Go to previous message
Drummer is currently offline  Drummer
Chancellor
I know this is an old post, but as long as the parts and pieces match up, then they should work fine. Both products are a good brand.
Previous Topic: Speakerlab Corner Horns
Next Topic: XO for OB 2-way
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:35:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout