Home » Audio » Speaker » Omega Super 3 BPC
Omega Super 3 BPC [message #15794] Mon, 08 December 2003 11:13 Go to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Looking for info on Omega's new speaker, the Super BPC. I've read a little about the rest of their line, but nothing on the Super 3 BPC. Has anyone tried them with Moondog 2A3 mono amps? Any suggestions on speakers that will work well with my amps would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Omega Super 3 BPC [message #15795 is a reply to message #15794] Mon, 08 December 2003 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What drivers are in those speakers? I saw some at an audio show I was at this year, but I don't recall what drivers were in 'em.

I'm affiliated with π Speakers, but I'm still curious.

Re: Omega Super 3 BPC [message #15796 is a reply to message #15794] Mon, 08 December 2003 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RJeff is currently offline  RJeff
Chancellor
This doesn't answer you directly, but I hope it helps:
I have some other Omegas, and I was told by the company that they are voiced on / for 2A3 amps.
I'm using the TS2Rs with Bottlehead amps and am very happy.
Jeff

hi wayne [message #15797 is a reply to message #15795] Mon, 08 December 2003 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
you meantioned a wooden mid horn using delta 10 at the pi forum, can you tell me more about it or may be post some diagrams here.

zeno

Re: Omega Super 3 BPC [message #15798 is a reply to message #15795] Mon, 08 December 2003 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DennisA is currently offline  DennisA
Esquire
Wayne,
The Omega speakers are using Fostex drivers.
I don't know which drivers are in the various models.
Aloha,
Dennis

Fostex full-range speakers [message #15799 is a reply to message #15798] Mon, 08 December 2003 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Fostex drivers are really nice. I think they are probably my favorite full-ranger's. I'm really impressed with the ones in Phil Wilson's bass-reflex single-driver speakers.

Re: Fostex full-range speakers [message #15800 is a reply to message #15799] Mon, 08 December 2003 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DennisA is currently offline  DennisA
Esquire
Wayne,
Yes, I built a pair of MLTL with Fostex FE127Es. They sound very nice (with a sub).
But my most listened to speakers (and my wife's favorites) are my Pi Three Thermionic. They are excellent.
Presently I'm working on a design for a horn system.
Amps are 2A3 (meshplates, great photo!) Paramours.
Aloha,
Dennis

Midrange horns [message #15801 is a reply to message #15797] Mon, 08 December 2003 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Gabriel!

I haven't finished the designs, and basically just have the requirements and some simulations done. My goals make it a little more challenging because I want to be able to use more than one driver, and the ones I'm hoping to use have fairly dissimilar specs. I also have some space constraints to deal with, mostly for aesthetics but also for dispersion sake. And I'm really, really busy right now, so I don't expect to have anything available until sometime in the first quarter of 2004.

But generally, a nice horn can be made having fairly simple straight sides and it is easy to model accurately so you can expect performance to be as predicted by the model. Check out Adrian's horn on the π Speakers forum. This kind of horn is very common in prosound use, and when used with a high-quality driver, they sound very, very good through the vocal range. Definitely "Hi-Fi."

One thing about a horn like this is that it covers the vocal fundamentals up through the overtone region, where the tweeter kicks in. You just can't get a modern 1" or 2" compresion driver down to the bottom of the vocal range like you can a horn like this. I'd rather push 'em up too high than down too low.

As an aside, some say that in high-fidelity applications, pushing a subsystem down below it's limits is "OK." But to me, especially in high-fidelity applications, it isn't. Like I said, I'd rather push 'em up high than down low. Adding a horn like this reduces the need to push a tweeter crossover down or a midwoofer crossover up. The system is made more complex, and a crossover point is added. But bandwidth per subsystem is reduced, with the corresponding benefits afforded from doing so.

Wayne

I really like that combo too. [message #15802 is a reply to message #15800] Mon, 08 December 2003 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I know I'm biased, but I build 'em like I like 'em, so that stands to reason. Thanks for saying you're pleased too.

As for full-rangers, I really like the Fostex units I've heard and can see why people would be enchanted by them. Some full-rangers sound like clock radios to me, but Fostex speakers don't. They really sound quite good.

Second the vote on Fostex and.. [message #15805 is a reply to message #15799] Mon, 08 December 2003 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
New moniker, new board. Good to see you here Wayne.

A brief intro on my choice of speakers - Klipsch heresy all around HT/music room, Heresy in office, 2PI in music/TV downstairs.

I used a couple of Fostex 168 sigma as mid woofers in my center channel upstairs (coupled with a Heresy Tweeter and Mid horn) that I made a couple of years ago. They are very nice, even when managed less than FR - the box is tuned to 50hz and these little jewels work very well from about 70hz (the bass is managed to the sub at 80hz) to the xover managed top end around 700 - 800hz. I couldn't be more pleased with the overall match of the center and two pairs of Heresy. The strength of the dialog and centering LFs are the Fostex - they are very pleasing. I would use them again (the 168 sigms T/S let it be a very good mid woof as well as backloaded horn)for something similar, and would be pleased to try other Fostex based on the way these continue to perform.

Good luck with the forum - I'll be watching often and every once and a while I'll be dispensing inarguable logic, invaluable wisdom and secret answers to the meaning of life. All this is done with false humility that is the result of an insufferably bloated ego. It is so much fun being me........

Previous Topic: Interesting articles
Next Topic: Has anyone heard the zhorns?(nt)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 09:10:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio