Home » Audio » Speaker » Cords for basic speaker? (pic)
Cords for basic speaker? (pic) [message #15758] Tue, 20 January 2009 23:26 Go to next message
speaker noob is currently offline  speaker noob
Esquire

Hi, I've built a really basic set of speakers in my speaker building class couple years ago and I decided to hook it up to my laptop after finding it in a closet. Now, the back of the speaker looks like the picture. Not sure which cords would connect from that to usb or some kind of a way to play music from a laptop.
It's much too embarrassing to know that I've built this..

So if anyone can kindly show what kind or a link of cords where I can get'em, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Cords for basic speaker? (pic) [message #15760 is a reply to message #15758] Wed, 21 January 2009 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your laptop computer might not have enough power to drive your speakers.

The sound output comes through a 1/8" jack. You'll need to purchase a cord with 1/8" jack on one end and two RCA jacks on the other. Connect that to an amplifier preamp input and connect your speakers to the amp's output.

If you want to try and see if the laptop sound card can drive the speakers directly, expose the wires on your 1/8" jack cord to connect your speakers. It will have a red wire, a black wire and a shield. The red wire goes to the (+) post on your right speaker, the black one goes to the (+) post on your left speaker and the shield goes to the (-) post on both speakers.

Re: Cords for basic speaker? (pic) [message #15775 is a reply to message #15758] Thu, 19 February 2009 12:24 Go to previous message
Audio Equipment Speakers is currently offline  Audio Equipment Speakers
Esquire
Hmmm...not sure if you can find a wire that will connect to a usb cord and will attach to this type of speaker set up. I'm sure one exists out there but can't think of anyplace to start to look. I would try your local audio store and ask around.

Previous Topic: Re: Curved baffles
Next Topic: Celestion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 23:24:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout