Home » Audio » Speaker » Help! Speaker Interference
Help! Speaker Interference [message #15718] Thu, 25 September 2008 22:57 Go to next message
formsand is currently offline  formsand
Esquire
Hi I have a pair of older Altec Lansing computer speakers w/ sub. I am in a dorm room, so I only have a limited supply of electrical outlets. First of all, whenever my mini-refrigerator comes on it produces a loud noise out of my speakers. Also, when I turn on my fluorescent desk lamp, it does the same thing. These noises are unpredictable; sometimes it is just a slight pop noise and other times it is quite loud ad disturbing. Also, whenever I unplug or plug in my speakers it produces the same situation. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Re: Help! Speaker Interference [message #15721 is a reply to message #15718] Mon, 29 September 2008 16:53 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Electrical noise is a problem that we all face at one time or another. In addition to the obvious noise coupled back onto the AC line, look for ground loops and bad shielding on preamp lines.

Here are a couple things to try:

1. Disconnect the inputs to the speaker's amps and see if the refrigerator and lamps still make the sound. If not, then noise is coupling into your inputs. In that case, you may have a bad signal cable that you can repair or replace to fix the problem.

2. Is the computer power plugged into the same outlet as the speaker amplifier power? If not, try plugging them into the same outlet. Use a barrier strip with multiple outlets if you need more sockets. This will ensure their grounds are connected and reduce the possibility of a ground loop.

Previous Topic: Coral speakers
Next Topic: Re: Array for centre channel?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 00:48:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio