Home » Audio » Speaker » 4 speakers in one box
4 speakers in one box [message #15687] Wed, 18 June 2008 15:44 Go to next message
Shaun is currently offline  Shaun
Esquire
Hi,

Would it work to put 2 6x9's and 2 6" round speakers in one box?
This is for my boat, and I would like to take the radio on and off the boat. It would be much easier to do this all in one box, the tuner and all 4 speakers.

Portable speakers [message #15688 is a reply to message #15687] Tue, 24 June 2008 12:52 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Usually 6x9 car speakers are designed to be installed in a very large cabinet, since they are typically installed in the rear deck of a car having the trunk as the rear chamber. Trunk volume is usually at least 10 cubic feet, so the drivers are designed to work well in spaces this large. If you put it in a small box, say 1/2 to 1 cubic foot, then it will lack deep bass and will probably have a huge peak at midbass or lower midrange frequencies.

I suggest if you want a portable speaker in a small box, don't use 6x9 car speakers at all. Get a speaker designed to be used in a smaller space. There are lots of round 4" and 5" speakers that work great in small boxes. Some are designed to go in the front doors of cars, because the rear chamber is much smaller. Others are speakers designed to go in portable radios and the like.

Previous Topic: Stereo woofer array vs Stereo sub
Next Topic: DIY line array's for HT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 15:57:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout