Home » Audio » Speaker » Coral speakers
Coral speakers [message #15663] Fri, 18 April 2008 04:50 Go to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit
Esquire
I have a pair of Coral BX1500 Speakers that I purchased in Subic Bay, P.I. in 1972. I listened to lots of speakers but to me the BX1500 were the best. I still use them and they sound great. However lately I have noticed some distortion and I suspect the crossovers.I thought I would google Coral Speackers and found this website. I don't know if Coral Speckers is still in business or not but I sure would like to get the corssovers fixed!

Re: Coral speakers [message #15664 is a reply to message #15663] Fri, 18 April 2008 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I suggest replacing the capacitors with new polypropylene caps. If you can solder, you can do it yourself. If not, yake your speakers to a repair shop. Pick the capacitors yourself and take them with you though because very few repair shops will have the parts you want in stock. They may be tempted to replace the caps with non-polarized electrolytics, which aren't very good. It's better to use polypropylene capacitors.

Re: Coral speakers [message #15719 is a reply to message #15663] Mon, 29 September 2008 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAW is currently offline  RAW
Chancellor

Here is a set for you if I was close grab them for $175.00 just for parts
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ele/857659206.html

On the crossovers yes replacing the capacitors as well the parts layout can be a issue as well with having cross talk on some inductors.

With the capacitors I would lean to Mundorf caps and possible bypass capacitors, change out the resistors as well these will need replacement also.Inductors may have come un wound yes i have seen older inductors come apart as well. The trick with replacing the inductors if needed is to make sure you use a inductor with the same DCR.

Here is a few Corel I just did.

Re: Coral speakers [message #15720 is a reply to message #15663] Mon, 29 September 2008 12:22 Go to previous message
RAW is currently offline  RAW
Chancellor

Here is a set for you if I was close grab them for $175.00 just for parts
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ele/857659206.html

On the crossovers yes replacing the capacitors as well the parts layout can be a issue as well with having cross talk on some inductors.

With the capacitors I would lean to Mundorf caps and possible bypass capacitors, change out the resistors as well these will need replacement also.Inductors may have come un wound yes i have seen older inductors come apart as well. The trick with replacing the inductors if needed is to make sure you use a inductor with the same DCR.

Here is a photo of few Corel I just did.

Previous Topic: PHY HP21 vs. Accuton T6-96
Next Topic: Help! Speaker Interference
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 12:31:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout