Home » Audio » Speaker » The Cost of Inattention
The Cost of Inattention [message #15585] Sat, 29 September 2007 15:08 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm building a pair of Jim Hostz's Statements, and I was drilling pilot holes for the screws I'll use to attach the base to the main enclosure. Measured everything carefully, then drilled the four holes in exactly the right place - into the top of the enclosure instead of the bottom!

So I filled the holes with dowels and drilled four more, this time in the bottom. OK, I then started on the other enclosure to do the same thing, and I did exactly that - drilled the holes in the top of the enclosure again! Time to call it a day.

Re: The Cost of Inattention [message #15586 is a reply to message #15585] Sat, 29 September 2007 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Holtz is currently offline  Jim Holtz
Chancellor
Hi Fred,

I didn't know you were building the Statements. I hope you like them as much as I do. We've traveled a lot of the same path so I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback once you get them completed.

I just picked up the Mini's and the center from Curt today. I can't wait to get them finished!

BTW, sorry to hear about the holes on the wrong end. I've had days like that too.

Best regards,

Jim

The Statements [message #15587 is a reply to message #15586] Sun, 30 September 2007 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I built Roman B's RS-180 MTM's and concluded the RS series drivers offer very good sound for the money - comparable to some other speakers I've built using the far more expensive Seas L-18's. The RS-180's now reside in my son's condo in Austin, and I've been considering a larger three-way using RS drivers for my upstairs listening room. The Selah Audio XT-8's will stay in the main downstairs system until they pry my cold dead fingers...

When I saw the plans for the Statements it was a no-brainer: looks like a good design, cosmetically it's a very attractive three way, the enclosure drawings are some of the best I've seen, and it's something I can actually afford. My Statements will be a bit different: I'm porting them out the rear, and the base will be a hollow mdf box used to house the crossover. Othewise they will be built to spec.

Re: The Statements [message #15588 is a reply to message #15587] Sun, 30 September 2007 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Holtz is currently offline  Jim Holtz
Chancellor
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the kind remarks. I had a lot of exceptional help that went into the project which is why it turned out so well.

I agree that the RS series drivers are excellent and I'd rate them a touch above Seas L series personally. The real sleeper in this project is the W4-1337SA. Absolutely killer mid range. The exceptional smoothness, clarity and detail combined with the open back transmission line creates one of the very best sound stages I've heard . I'm really looking forward to hearing your feedback and perhaps feedback from your audio group.

If you feel it's appropriate, this is the official build thread that everyone has posted feedback and pictures in.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=25932

BTW, the changes you've made will work perfectly.

Best regards,

Jim

(Fred) I built Roman B's RS-180 MTM's and concluded the RS series drivers offer very good sound for the money - comparable to some other speakers I've built using the far more expensive Seas L-18's. The RS-180's now reside in my son's condo in Austin, and I've been considering a larger three-way using RS drivers for my upstairs listening room. The Selah Audio XT-8's will stay in the main downstairs system until they pry my cold dead fingers...

When I saw the plans for the Statements it was a no-brainer: looks like a good design, cosmetically it's a very attractive three way, the enclosure drawings are some of the best I've seen, and it's something I can actually afford. My Statements will be a bit different: I'm porting them out the rear, and the base will be a hollow mdf box used to house the crossover. Othewise they will be built to spec.

Re: The Statements [message #15607 is a reply to message #15587] Sat, 03 November 2007 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
Now that you've had these speakers a while and you've had time to really evaluate them, what are your impressions?

Re: The Statements [message #15608 is a reply to message #15607] Sun, 04 November 2007 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Actually I haven't heard them in the past few weeks because I took them apart to veneer. stain, and varnish the enclosures. Based on the two or three weeks I was able to listening to them I would say they are among the best under $5K speakers I've have heard, and better than most I heard in that price range at the RMAF.

Re: The Statements [message #15609 is a reply to message #15608] Sun, 04 November 2007 08:58 Go to previous message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
Wow, it sounds like you are really impressed with these speakers. I think I must try and audition a pair.

Previous Topic: Simple Open Back Line Arrays
Next Topic: monsoon planarmedia 7 for line array
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:58:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout