Home » Audio » Speaker » Quatre 8000 speakers
Quatre 8000 speakers [message #15421] Sat, 02 December 2006 20:20 Go to next message
SammyDavis is currently offline  SammyDavis
Esquire
Does anyone know anything about Quatre 8000 speakers? Looking for replacement tweeters.

Re: Quatre 8000 speakers [message #15622 is a reply to message #15421] Mon, 10 December 2007 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale Launer is currently offline  Dale Launer
Esquire
The speaker was made in the '70's. It was the first computer designed with a computer.

Gordon Culp, (who I believe had passed away) was a high energy physicist from Cal Tech who designed a 26 variable computer optimization program.

They were constructed with little regard to cosmetics (they were usually painted flat black), but had a (for then) very solid build.

The original tweeters were Peerless paper, later, around 1974, they went to the Philips mylar dome.

They were made in Chatsworth, California.

Re: Quatre 8000 speakers [message #15671 is a reply to message #15622] Sat, 26 April 2008 04:08 Go to previous message
wally duran is currently offline  wally duran
Esquire
A gentleman by the name of Guy Hickey Owned the Company, they were located almost next door to Infinity over on Remmet st. in canoga park if my memory serves me well. The speaker originally came in a flat black finish and later in a nice oak finish. I purchased them along with a Quatre Gain Cell amplifier, wow, what a combo! Guy told me that I should buy an Advent Model 300 Receiver and use it as my preamp along with an Onkyo T9 tuner also recommended by him. He never tried to push Their preamp on me, and in fact insisted that the Model 300 was a better choice because of the apt/holman (copy) of the phono section built into the Advent. I later hooked up with the Qysonic brand of speakers who were designed by Mark Merlino and later Terry Apperly of CBS labs.(the company was owned by Phil Grievs) located in Orange on Rose St. I later went on to work for them when the company was sold to Mowtown Records.What a mistake that was! The speakers were awsome and were some of the earliest D'appolito alignment speakers on the market.They also included a pressure relief system (Laminar Flow Vent). "Neutrality In Sound" was our motto.
I still own and from time to time build The Spree, Laug and micro systems and have built some of the Arrays. The last pair I built were highly modified with better drivers (Peerless) than the Hukatone woofers we used to use back then. Also a better midrange and tweeter combo. The supertweeter I opted for was an Leaf Design. I used 1 1/4" MDF with heavy bracing. What fun it was back then. Actually still is. I now work for Magnolia Audio Video and try to pattern myself after people like Guy Hickey.

Previous Topic: Neo10
Next Topic: Which Speaker?!?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 22:03:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout