Home » Audio » Speaker » Finally the x-over is hooked up
Finally the x-over is hooked up [message #15371] Sat, 09 September 2006 21:33 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I bought a Rane AC-22 pretty cheap so I built some cables for it since it's the older model that uses TS plugs.

I have noticed a couple of things so far. One is I need a setup cd or tone generator for sure The bass seems to be more controlled than before with the tube amp.I'm using a SS MC-2505 for the bottom end and a tube MC-275 for the horns in the Valencias.

I played the Mark Knopfler/Emmy Lou Harris-All the Roadrunning album and it sure sounds sweet. I don't think there is a night and day difference so the old Altec x-over can't be all that bad for as old as it is.

I used the stock split @ 800 HZ. and haven't fooled around with changing it. I think Altec used 800 for a reason so I don't see a big need to fool around with it.

Reading the Rane owners manual is a hoot. They have a sense of humor. Too bad most of the technical stuff is over my head. My peabrain doesn't absorb electronics well I'll figure it out eventually.

Re: Finally the x-over is hooked up [message #15374 is a reply to message #15371] Mon, 11 September 2006 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Go to the Rane site and read the technical bulletins / notes. There's an extensive education there; the only problem is that it's not progressive. You have to stumble around from note-to-note to get the complete picture. Some are advanced, some are elememtary but you don't know which is which until you start reading.

Re: Finally the x-over is hooked up [message #15375 is a reply to message #15374] Mon, 11 September 2006 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thank you for the link. I just finished reading a thread on the DIY forum that sounds like I basically wasted my money Oh well, I'm glad I'm the only one that has to like the sound of my sytem. I wish I had invested some time in learning some electronics skills.

If worse comes to worse I can always put it back the way it was

Re: Finally the x-over is hooked up [message #15376 is a reply to message #15375] Mon, 11 September 2006 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Why do you say "wasted my money"?

I would be willing to bet "haven't exploited the device as more accurate. MLK's comment about "little difference" can be taken with a grain of salt since he's rather a newbie to active systems. In addition to active crossovers I have a hardware RTA, a software RTA, two measurement mics, a rack mount SPL meter and two hand-held SPL meters. You need to use some reference signal to get the thing in line - it ain't going to happen by ear.

Check out the link below:

Re: Finally the x-over is hooked up [message #15377 is a reply to message #15376] Mon, 11 September 2006 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Sorry, I was being sarcastic and it didn't come accross plain enough. I was just surprised that someone could dismiss the whole idea so easily.

I'm hoping to figure out the manual and maybe utilize some of the old test gear I was given. I have a couple of frequency generators that I think would work If I can figure out how to hook them up.

I'm in no hurry to go back to the passive x-over. I have more time than money so I'll get a handle on it eventually. I've been told that the Valencia speaker has the drivers in line so time alignment is not an issue. I don't know this for a fact but I do know if I wander off of zero on the time delay the sound goes bad in a hurry

Re: Finally the x-over is hooked up [message #15378 is a reply to message #15377] Tue, 12 September 2006 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I apologize for being typically dense.

The Altec method for aligning the drivers, as I remember it, is to wire the drivers out-of-phase and play a tone at the crossover frequency (here, as with most Altec speakers, 800 Hz). You then find the fore-and-aft position that yeilds an SPL minima - at that point the drivers are in the proper physical alignment.

Re: Finally the x-over is hooked up [message #15379 is a reply to message #15378] Wed, 13 September 2006 08:09 Go to previous message
Grand Master
Last night I had a wild hair and put on Led Zep's Houses of the Holy. The record is pretty noisy but I was surprised to hear the seperation between recorded tracks on that album. I know they liked to use stereo effects a lot but this produced a nice sound stage I hadn't heard before.

I think the alignment must be pretty close because when I add any delay the life goes right out of the sound and it sounds like a high powered transistor radio

Previous Topic: Heavy-cones verses light-cones in basshorns
Next Topic: interesting damping material
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 02:32:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout