Home » Audio » Speaker » Crossover Cap Comparison
I like Solens [message #15212 is a reply to message #15207] Fri, 24 February 2006 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Fred,

I'm a fan of Solens. Not because they're the last word in caps. But because they deliver a great deal for the price. If you're willing to spend more, there are certainly better caps in the market. But despite all their shortcomings, Solens' are still a hugh improvement over caps found in most mass produced speakers.

gar.

Detail [message #15223 is a reply to message #15210] Tue, 28 February 2006 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's what I'm hearing more of with the cap and resistor upgrade in the tweeter crossover. I was just listening to some Vivaldi cello concertos, and on one track there's a harpsichord playing a very quiet contiuno. The harpsichord was audible before, but it was almost lost in the sound of the strings. Now the notes stand out more clearly, both in audibility and as a point in the soundstage.

Until today I assumed the Eminence compression driver and horn couldn't resolve detail of like comparably priced dome tweeters such as the Scan Speak 9500 and ribbons like the Founteks. There's still a difference, but with the cap and resistor upgrade the Eminence tweeter is much closer to the other types. This $100 upgrade was worth the cost.

Re: Detail [message #15224 is a reply to message #15223] Wed, 01 March 2006 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for the heads-up. Can't wait to hear this combination at GPAF!

Re: Detail [message #15227 is a reply to message #15224] Wed, 01 March 2006 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I kid you not, Wayne, the cap and resistor upgrade has taken these speakers to a whole new level. Do you remember my story about the Magnepan 1.6's? At a Houston Audio Society meeting we played my upgraded 1.6's side by side in an A/B comparison with another member's non-modded pair (with the stock Solen caps). The unanimous conclusion was that the modded speakers (also using Northcreek caps and resistors) were so much smoother and more detailed they didn't even sound like the same speaker. Ditto for the 3 Pi's. I had been using a Fountek ribbon as a supertweeter, but with the upgrade to the Eminence tweeter crossover the Fountek adds nothing; in fact, it actually detracts a bit.

Re: Detail [message #15228 is a reply to message #15227] Wed, 01 March 2006 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm really anxious to hear that, Fred. I've been meaning to try various components, but never seem to have the time. I've tried several of the obvious choices, Solens, Auricaps, Musicaps and Kimber Kaps. I've used Black Gates in certain situations. But there are a lot of components I haven't tried yet, and your combination is one of them I haven't tried. So I'm very eager to hear your speakers.

Re: Detail [message #15233 is a reply to message #15228] Mon, 20 March 2006 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi Wayne,
Check also with Wima's (Germany) MKP4 series. Mr. Crawford use's them in the Kurre 4 speaker. I never used them, I know were to buy from Wima distributors, but I don't know the price or quantities. He used Solen's bebore in Legend Acoustics speakers.

As he says: "...I find capacitors frustrating because although I can hear differences between different capacitors I cannot measure any differences." (in Australian Hi-Fi, equipment review)
Best Regards

Re: Detail [message #15236 is a reply to message #15233] Mon, 20 March 2006 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Great link, thanks!

Re: X over caps [message #15465 is a reply to message #15236] Mon, 05 March 2007 21:16 Go to previous message
Ron Bradley is currently offline  Ron Bradley
Esquire
check out the website "Humblehomemade Hifi" google search. He has evaulated about 20 different caps. For the money I'm buying Clarity Caps. I'd like Delund but...Wayyy to much money for a cap. $200+
Ron

Previous Topic: Adding Tweeter to Full Range Driver
Next Topic: Acoustical Klein-Gordon Equation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 21:18:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers