Home » Audio » Speaker » manualblock - Re: P.Audio Drivers
manualblock - Re: P.Audio Drivers [message #15067] Sat, 23 July 2005 11:26 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This guy seems pretty on-the-level; maybe you should call him up. He was very helpful when I was considering some Lowthers

Re: manualblock - Re: P.Audio Drivers [message #15068 is a reply to message #15067] Sun, 24 July 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I spoke to him numerous times over the yrs. There was a point where I considered doing a Lowther. Wheeew! Close call that one.
He is very opinionated. But a nice chap.
I just don't get how one speaker can be optimal in ten different size enclosures. He claims they are.

Re: manualblock - Re: P.Audio Drivers [message #15069 is a reply to message #15068] Sun, 24 July 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm not familiar with his claims about optimum enclosure sizes, but it's rather like Wayne said "over there", pro drivers tend to be fairly flexible WRT to enclosure size at a given tuning.

Re: manualblock - Re: P.Audio Drivers [message #15070 is a reply to message #15069] Sun, 24 July 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I was hoping to see David Dicks at the Great Plains Audiofest in May. He's just down the road, about 5 hours away. There was a lot of buzz here on ART about those Audio Nirvana drivers he sells at Common Sense Audio. People were hoping to see them and hear them. But he didn't make the trip; Maybe next year.

Re: manualblock - Re: P.Audio Drivers [message #15071 is a reply to message #15070] Sun, 24 July 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
He is a pleasant guy to talk to, but he really doesn't like the concept of modeling loudspeaker behaviour as a design tool.

Re: manualblock - Re: P.Audio Drivers [message #15072 is a reply to message #15069] Sun, 24 July 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I understand the concept of tuning but there must be some kind of limit to how far you can take it. I asked him that and his reply was basically you will have a different frequency response to some degree but the overall tone of the driver will remain.

Re: manualblock - Re: P.Audio Drivers [message #15073 is a reply to message #15071] Sun, 24 July 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Modeling is just another tool. I model a circuit to know what components to use. I draw up a blueprint to know what size to make a box. All these are just ways of looking at a thing before it's built. The prototype of a device is a physical model, which is usually made for testing just like mathematical models. If it does what you expect, then you're good to go. If not, build another model.

Regardless of all that, I heard a pair of Fostex FE206E drivers in Dicks' 1.3 liter cabinet and they sound pretty good. I've never heard any of his other speakers though, and that's why I had hoped he would make it to GPAF. Let 'em be seen and heard by everyone.

Re: manualblock - Re: P.Audio Drivers [message #15074 is a reply to message #15073] Sun, 24 July 2005 16:43 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; the 1.3 ltr cab is one of the stock units he has been using for many yrs. They housed Lowthers originally.

Previous Topic: Array wiring
Next Topic: need a help on speaker specification
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 03 10:23:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout