Home » Audio » Speaker » DBX "Soundfield" 1A speaker questions
DBX "Soundfield" 1A speaker questions [message #14922] Tue, 05 April 2005 21:02 Go to next message
chris is currently offline  chris
Baron
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of these and I'm planning on reselling.The controller box is not with the speakers(I believe the controller is simply a "tuned" high-low filter and could probably be easily reproduced).

I can't find much info on them,they must not have made/sold many.But what I have found says they are the ultimate in speakers.

Now my question,I know these cost $2,950 when new...Does anyone have an idea what they would bring today?I plan on selling on Ebay if I get them.Any other info would also be appreciated! Thank's

Re: DBX "Soundfield" 1A speaker questions [message #15040 is a reply to message #14922] Fri, 24 June 2005 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Moran is currently offline  David Moran
Esquire
Maybe you have sold these already, but I can answer any questions about them. I do NOT know what they are worth or what others would pay, but they are tremendous-sounding speakers: airy, spacious, like huge electrostatic headphones. And the stereo-everywhere technology (horizontal radiation pattern where the l-r balance is consistent with listening position) really works rather well.

The EQ unit was rather complex but you can do a crude duplication simply by turning up bass and treble controls significantly, as you suspect. Or get an inexpensive 10-band octave EQ and do the butterfly turnup and then experiment by ear. You will want to experiment with notching 2k and 4k a little bit with the octave EQ.

Re: DBX "Soundfield" 1A speaker questions [message #63851 is a reply to message #15040] Fri, 13 August 2010 13:09 Go to previous message
HazyDavy is currently offline  HazyDavy
Esquire
I found this old thread while searching for info on Soundfield 1s and figure it'd be a good place to ask a related question.

I have a pair of Soundfield 1As that I've been using for the past year or so as part of my main stereo driven by a Kenwood KR-9600 receiver. Even though I don't have a controller box, these sound pretty good to my ears. That said, I figured I'd try and find a controller box to see how much difference it made.

The original Soundfield Model One came with a controller labelled "dbx Model SFC-1 Soundfield Imaging Controller". The later 1A model came with a controller labelled "dbx Model 1A Soundfield Controller".

Does anyone know the difference between the model 1 and the model 1A and specifically whether using a model 1 controller with my model 1A speakers with yield positive results.

Thanks,
Dave.
Previous Topic: My speaker cracks!!
Next Topic: JBL 052Ti data?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:08:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers