Home » Audio » Speaker » Stopped at the Bose store
Stopped at the Bose store [message #14558] Wed, 24 March 2004 21:24 Go to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
I had some time to kill at my local hi-end mall Monday. My girlfriend and her sister wanted to buy some clothes. So, I stopped in the Bose store to check out their speakers. I got a chance to listen to the 601s and the 901s for about 30 minutes. The salesman played the Dave Matthews live from Central Park DVD. The 601 had very boomy, loose bass. The 901s had no bass at all. I thought there was very little separation in the instruments. The horns and the strings sounded bright to me.
The salesmen told me the 901s weren't hooked up right, something about the active equalizer not being installed. Then he blamed the problems with the sound on the Onkyo receiver. It was interesting talking to these guys, to be honest.
The one salesman said the Bose blew away the Polk LSI series. I told him I have heard the LSIs, which use the Viva XT25 ring tweeter. The Bose doesn't even come close to the LSIs.
I did find a couple of things interesting. Both salesmen I spoke with talked highly of tubes. When I asked if I could run the 901s with a 7 watt set, they had no idea. The salesmen couldn't tell me the efficiency rating on any of the speakers. To be honest, I had to explain what efficiency meant. After checking the computer, the one salesman came back to say Bose didn't publish the efficiency of their speakers at all. Hmm.
Also, the $299 Bose noise cancelling headphones sounded good. Almost as good as the Grado SR-60s I got on Audiogon for $45. Well, not quite as good. I love my Grados.
It was a fun way to kill 1/2 hour at the mall.

Re: Stopped at the Bose store [message #14559 is a reply to message #14558] Wed, 24 March 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Does anyone ever run the 901's with a sub? I'm sure someone does this but I mean is there a factory recommended subwoofer implementation for 901's?

Re: Stopped at the Bose store [message #14560 is a reply to message #14558] Thu, 25 March 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
haha. Its funny to go to these "Hifi" stores and make an ass out of the salesman!

Re: Stopped at the Bose store [message #14561 is a reply to message #14558] Thu, 25 March 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>>The 901s had no bass at all. I thought there was very little separation in the instruments. The horns and the strings sounded bright to me. The salesmen told me the 901s weren't hooked up right, something about the active equalizer not being installed.

They do sound like shit especially without the equalizer, they dump so much low+hi frequency boost out of this EQ just to get them to sound half way decent.

>>When I asked if I could run the 901s with a 7 watt set, they had no idea.

I don't think so, all your amp headroom would be eatin up by the +15db boost below 100hz and the +10db boost above 10khz that the piece of shit equalizer puts out. And Bose says in the 901 owners manual recommend amp power no less than 10w rms, even with this I bet you wouldn't be able to crank it up very loud without running out of headroom in the amp.

Bill W.

Re: Stopped at the Bose store [message #14563 is a reply to message #14559] Sat, 27 March 2004 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
I have read many times the the 901's do not sound right without the equlizer or even if the equlizer is not adjusted correctlly. As far as the Onkyo amp... ?? I don't think that should be a big factor.

Re: Stopped at the Bose store [message #14565 is a reply to message #14563] Sun, 28 March 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, the 901 is an array of fairly small full-rangers, so EQ is pretty much mandatory if there's no subwoofer and supertweeter. I was just wondering if Bose ever sold a subwoofer to take the low-end duty instead of bumping up the bass.

Re: NYAAH, NYAAH! [message #14568 is a reply to message #14558] Sun, 28 March 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bose 901's, with the equalizer engaged and properly placed in the room reproduce full orchestral and especially Opera recordings at a level few systems can equal!
A Kenwood KD-650 with Ortofon catridge, Harmon Kardon 8xx something pre-amp and Bedini 25/25 produced the most stunning Turandot with Sutherland and Pavarotti, Mehta conducting.
Nowadays this Infidel has other values but in 1978 that was something people came from miles around to here.
NYAAAH!

Guess who? [message #14576 is a reply to message #14558] Fri, 02 April 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Buy Other Sound Equipment
Bunch of Sh__Y Equipment
BOooooom SEiiiizzzle
NO HIs No LOs Must be _____
Basically Optimized for Sonic Excruciation

:-)
-akhilesh

Re: Stopped at the Bose store [message #14578 is a reply to message #14558] Mon, 05 April 2004 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You guys make fun of Bose speakers all you want, but you can't ignore the fact that they are the best audio marketing company in the world. Within the general population, Bose is a prestige brand that people actually aspire to purchase. Men, early twenties, getting their first job, reads Maxim, think Bose is "cool". Most of you may see this as a con job, but as someone who's been in marketing for the past 10 years, I think it's brilliant!

What's Bose's strapline? Something like "Inspired by Research"? What they didn't do was explain that they really mean "Market Research".

Gar.

Re: Stopped at the Bose store [message #14582 is a reply to message #14578] Tue, 06 April 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Exactly, that's why people that know better DON'T by Bose. Marketing, how else can they sell the bullshit. They don't even provide data on there products to back them up.

Bill W.

Previous Topic: Backhorns
Next Topic: Unity Horns - What Happened to Them??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 19:29:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio