Home » Audio » Source » CAL Icon CD player
CAL Icon CD player [message #14470] Fri, 26 September 2008 11:01 Go to next message
Guy is currently offline  Guy
Esquire
I've been out of active hi-fi service for several years and have not kept up with the latest advances in technology. I have a California Audio Labs Icon CD player (ca. 1990) that's sick - the drawer won't open so there's a problem with the transport system. Is it worth fixing (est. $150 - $200), or should I just buy a new player. If I should replace it, any suggestions what I should consider? Thanks!

Re: CAL Icon CD player [message #14471 is a reply to message #14470] Mon, 29 September 2008 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think it's probably six one way and half dozen the other. If you liked it, it's worth it. If it wasn't real special to you, then maybe not.

The CAL Icon CD player is an old unit from a company that is no longer in business. So your technician may have a hard time doing a proper repair, and may settle for a less than optimal fix. Then again, he may be able to fix it perfectly and you might get years more enjoyment from it. Hard to say.

One thing is certain. You can replace it with a new CD player for less than $150.00, but you can't get a good one for that price.

Re: CAL Icon CD player [message #14472 is a reply to message #14470] Thu, 02 October 2008 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
CD players are the one component I will not fix.

CAL was a very well respected company in its day; however, technology has come a long way. There are a lot of good players in the sub $500 price point, and I think you would have to go out of your way to choose a bad one....C

Re: CAL Icon CD player [message #14474 is a reply to message #14470] Sun, 22 March 2009 03:27 Go to previous message
Mike Gibson is currently offline  Mike Gibson
Esquire
I'd take the cover off and look to see if the drawer is belt driven. I've fixed several old Denons by using a 1/16" O-Ring because I didn't have the correct belt and they're still opening and closing.

Previous Topic: More Audio-Technica 440MLA, a review, kinda
Next Topic: Yamaha YP-B2 Turntable Cartridge/needle?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:20:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio