Home » Audio » Source » EAC Question
EAC Question [message #14420] Wed, 12 September 2007 11:24 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Does anybody know if it's possible to create a compilation CD using EAC? I know how to download a CD to my hard drive and how to copy a CD to a CDR, but I haven't figured out how to copy individual tracks from different CD's to one CDR.

Re: EAC Question [message #14421 is a reply to message #14420] Wed, 12 September 2007 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I had a CD burner once that would let me do it. I assumed all of them did. I'll have to check the one on Melissa's laptop with the DVD burner and see if it will or not.

Re: EAC Question [message #14422 is a reply to message #14421] Thu, 13 September 2007 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I can create a compilation CD using Windows Media Player, but I've found even using Windows Media Audio lossless compression (the highest quality option for the Windows Media player) there's a very audible loss of dynamics. EAC, in contrast, makes a copy that's at least as good and probably better than the original CD, but I've only been able to copy entire CD's and not individual tracks.

I'm looking for an option that will enable me to create a high quality compilation disk for use as a reference CD for the Houston Audio Society to use when we compard components in our meetings. Most of the commercial CD copy software I see proudly advertises how crappy their software is at reproducing the full fidelity of a CD. They don't state it that way - they advertise how much their software can compress a file and how it can quickly rip a CD at 48X speed, which to me is the same thing.

Re: EAC Question [message #14423 is a reply to message #14422] Thu, 13 September 2007 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not sure about EAC or Windows Media Player. The software I used copied the tracks raw, as music CD tracks, not as any of the common computer formats. But it was able to copy individual songs or whole CDs. It came with the drive and the only thing I remeber about it that's relevant to what you're trying to do was that it was a bit-for-bit raw copy. That stood out to me in the operators manual. Are you sure the software that came with your drive doesn't offer this option?

Re: EAC Question [message #14424 is a reply to message #14423] Thu, 13 September 2007 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gilipsie is currently offline  Gilipsie
Viscount
Does windows media player even copy cds like that. I think I tried a couple of times to actually do that, and I didn't find any options what so ever.

321Soft Clone CD [message #14429 is a reply to message #14424] Thu, 13 September 2007 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This one might be worth looking at. It may even be the one that was bundled with the CD burner in my last computer. I remember distinctly the manual said the RAW mode was a bit-for-bit copy. Hopefully this software from 321Soft has that mode too.

Re: EAC Question [message #14430 is a reply to message #14422] Thu, 13 September 2007 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Fred,

The last time I tried writing CD's from WMP, the only output I could get was Red Book. That being the case, if your input was WMA lossless, then your output should have been bit-for-bit identical to the original CD. Also, IIRC EAC would only make one-for-one, CD to CDR copies. I was trying to make some CDR's in 192k MP3 and neither WMP or EAC would do it. I believe I used Audio Grabber to make the MP3 CDR's.

OK. I stand corrected. I WMP 11, go to the extra options under the burn tab and make sure that "do not"convert" is checked. Your output should be Red Book.

Another thing that you might try is burning each track as a data file. The intermediate file will be WAV regardless of what the input is and the copy will be Red Book.

Bob

Got It! [message #14431 is a reply to message #14430] Fri, 14 September 2007 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks, Bob. When you mentioned the "burn" tab I knew something was wrong because there's no such animal on my WMP. So I did the available update and got a more recent copy of WMP which has all the options you described. I just burned a perfect copy of a CD.

Re: EAC Question [message #14432 is a reply to message #14420] Mon, 17 September 2007 08:57 Go to previous message
Skip Pack is currently offline  Skip Pack
Baron
Fred,

There are a thousand methods. The hardest one I've tried is using
cue sheets -- EAC creates them, but it's not easy to manipulate for
a compilation. The easiest I've found is a not free, but not expensive
program called CDRWin. If you've ripped your music to individual
wave files, you can select a list of .wavs and it will write them.
It's always written high quality CDRs for me. If you haven't gotten
something going yet, I can review my process and give a more precise
description.

Skip

Previous Topic: Minidisks?
Next Topic: converting any files...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:50:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio