Home » Audio » Source » Legally download music to burn to CDs?
Re: Legally download music to burn to CDs? [message #63660 is a reply to message #14402] Wed, 04 August 2010 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rockhound is currently offline  rockhound
Chancellor
Yes it is illegal but burning a copy of a friends CD seems pretty harmless to me but why risk it?

There are many options out there so you can get music for about $10 a month or less. I can think of a couple subscription services that have huge libraries that you can save your favorites and play them through your computer or send them to a receiver on your stereo without having to pay for each track. They even have subscriptions that allows you to download songs to a special device like an ipod.

There are also streaming sites you can build your own library for free and listen through your computer or stereo.
Re: Legally download music to burn to CDs? [message #63845 is a reply to message #63660] Thu, 12 August 2010 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frontrowticket is currently offline  Frontrowticket
Chancellor
Rockhound, I'd be interested in any specific sites you use and can vouch for. Do you find that they are updated fairly regularly? I am going to look into this as a few bucks a month is worth it in karma points alone.
Re: Legally download music to burn to CDs? [message #63848 is a reply to message #63845] Thu, 12 August 2010 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rockhound is currently offline  rockhound
Chancellor
The best deal I found is Rhapsody. Napster has a subscription service as well.

There is a total free service for streaming called Grooveshark and for on demand type radio try Pandora.

Re: Legally download music to burn to CDs? [message #63979 is a reply to message #14402] Thu, 02 September 2010 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
addictedtosound is currently offline  addictedtosound
Chancellor
A fuzzy area seems to be what happens once you have legally purchased the music, some services will only allow you to put it on a specific amount of devices before the track is blocked, my opinion is that once you've bought the track you should be able to do anything you want with it.
Re: Legally download music to burn to CDs? [message #64245 is a reply to message #14402] Sun, 10 October 2010 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
Just do it, but don't sell it. Fact is, the music laws have not kept up with the times. There are so many gray areas already. Downloading music is one of them. If a source is illegal, it's not your problem. It's the source's problem.

But making money out of downloaded is definitely crossing the line. Even if you paid for such music, selling it is still illegal. You have to pay royalties to the publisher and get an array of licenses and permits to do it legally.
Re: Legally download music to burn to CDs? [message #64248 is a reply to message #14402] Mon, 11 October 2010 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have long considered purchasing one copy of any music or movie format a license to use the content as long as I want, we've been past the actual format being the issue for buying it, so I say one purchase of any sort is in the spirit of CD technologies' "lifelong enjoyment" clause.

The simply answer to this problem is that if you want it bad enough and demand that it be 100% legal, simply move to one of the various and numerous countries that do not consider a digital file to be an illegal infringement on copyright. I think even Canada takes this position.

Here in the US, our government has basically decided the film and music industry know best and whatever they want should be law. They are going so far as to begin an incremental shutdown of the free internet in the name of piracy.

Re: Legally download music to burn to CDs? [message #64314 is a reply to message #64248] Wed, 13 October 2010 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
What puzzles me is that Limewire keeps on operating despite the legal battles it is facing. It even has the gull to state in their email newsletter that we all should download music from Limewire and not from iTunes. I wonder how Limewire is able to stay alive.
Re: Legally download music to burn to CDs? [message #64317 is a reply to message #64314] Wed, 13 October 2010 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
They don't revolve around any central server. Once you have their software, they don't need to exist any longer for their product to endure.

Re: Legally download music to burn to CDs? [message #64404 is a reply to message #14402] Wed, 20 October 2010 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wolfgang is currently offline  Wolfgang
Chancellor
Crystal is right. It's all about moral standards. But what I don't understand is that why P2P sites like Limewire are not banned. If music industries are serious enough they should penalize the sites for allowing people to share music and videos online for free.

I heard one argument regarding this topic before. They said that sharing music and videos online is just like allowing your friends to listen to or watch them and you don't charge them for that. Same thing with using online facility, you're just sharing your files to a wider group of people.
Re: Legally download music to burn to CDs? [message #64415 is a reply to message #64404] Thu, 21 October 2010 07:28 Go to previous message
Baron
It becomes illegal when the publisher or composer does not allow their music to be freely distributed. I know, you'd say all publishers and composers would not want their music to be freely distributed.

Fact is, some do allow their music to be freely distributed. You may ask, why would they do that? Enlightened composers now realize that by allowing people to freely download and listen to their music, they are able to advertise themselves better than money-sucking radio stations can.

So, what about publishers or composers who do not want their music to be freely distributed. You're absolutely right in saying it's a moral issue. It's theft, you may say.

The reality is, our music copyright laws have not kept up with the times. Enforcement of music copyright laws has also not kept up with the times. All these laws and enforcement systems have been crafted on the assumption that music is something that sticks to vinyl or tapes. But ever since the digital age came in, that assumption is no longer true. Music is now something that zooms in and out undetected.

So, shall we now say that 150 million Americans are thieves?

There's something wrong in the picture, isn't there?
Previous Topic: Ground loop isolaters
Next Topic: Recording Music from Cassette Tapes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:50:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout