Home » Audio » Source » HD Radio
HD Radio [message #14363] Thu, 21 December 2006 03:27 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Our local NPR station, KUHF (which happens to be the only station in America's very sophisticated 4th largest city broadcasting classical music), had been promoting their new digital HD signal. I started a thread about HD radio on the Houston Audio Society web site and found that one of our members has researched the availability of HD tuners and the quality of the signal. His post on this topic can be seen at the link below.

At least one other member, who subscribes to both satellite signals, tells us he will stick with satellite in spite of the poor signal quality because of the programming divrsity and the fact that the announcers are less inclined to talk over the music, as with our local jazz station. But he listens mostly in his 350Z and not on his $25K home system, so the signal quality doesn't matter so much anyway.

That Sangen tuner looks very attractive at $200, and it just happens that my father sent me Christmas card with two $100 bills in it. I believe I'll stop by Fry's today.

You ought to live in Dufur :) [message #14364 is a reply to message #14363] Thu, 21 December 2006 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
We're just now getting FM stereo Which is a big upgrade over the simulcast stereo

Re: HD Radio [message #14365 is a reply to message #14363] Fri, 22 December 2006 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sangean makes very fine equipment. Can't beat 'em for portable shortwave radios.

Got It [message #14367 is a reply to message #14363] Tue, 26 December 2006 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Fry's has restocked after the Christmas rush and I picked up the Sangean tuner today. There's the usual problem you get when you play a tuner through a high resolution audio system - when you turn the volume up you hear some background noise, but the sound quality at normal listening levels is good. The output level of this tuner is a bit higher than the typical CD player, which means you listen at a lower volume setting. The sound is on the bright side, so if you have a choice avoid bright interconnects. But for only $199 it's a good choice for listening to your favorite station at a background level.

Re: HD Radio [message #14368 is a reply to message #14363] Sun, 11 February 2007 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
I have a Squezzebox and I find myself listening to a lot of Internet radio. The higher streaming rate ones sound quite decent.. Not CD quality but not bad at all. It’s a bit like short wave in that I can listen to stations all over the world and many that don’t exist outside the net. Plus it is a great way to find new music…John

Re: HD Radio [message #14369 is a reply to message #14368] Mon, 12 February 2007 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We're planning to install an internet radio server on ART. I've done some research, and have handed it off to Melissa. She's trying a few software packages right now. I think it will be cool to have an ART radio station music stream that we can all listen to. We'll all want to give her some requests to add to the playlist after she gets it going.

Great idea [message #14370 is a reply to message #14369] Mon, 12 February 2007 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What a cool idea!!

Re: HD Radio [message #14371 is a reply to message #14368] Tue, 13 February 2007 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Melissa is currently offline  Melissa
Viscount
Currently working on getting a station up and running for ART, will keep you updated on progress. Melissa

Final Outcome [message #14372 is a reply to message #14363] Thu, 22 February 2007 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I returned the Sangean tuner to Frys near the end of the 30 day return period. There was nothing wrong with the tuner, but after some listening to my classical station I became aware of an inharmonic high frequency ringing sound on one of their channels. It was one of those sounds that's so distracting once you notice it that you can't listen anymore. Far worse than the cheapest mass market cd/dvd playback I have ever heard. So much for HD radio.

IP audio [message #14373 is a reply to message #14372] Fri, 23 February 2007 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sometimes I get those kinds of artifacts on VoIP phones too. Audio over IP uses technologies that really don't work well together. IP technology uses packets that are sent over arbitrary paths. The system is designed for fault tolerance, and allows for packets to arrive at differengt times, not necessarily in the order sent. This is great for fault tolerance, but terrible for something like an audio stream that is, by nature, time sensitive. It's not a good system at all for audio quality, but since we've moved so far in the direction of IP, it can be pressed into service to carry digitized audio or video streams. It's a force fit, at best. But as long as the packets arrive in a timely fashion, the audio stream sounds good.

Previous Topic: converting any files...
Next Topic: vintage table?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:43:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout