Home » Audio » Source » All done now
All done now [message #14354] Sat, 02 December 2006 23:24 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I have a DAC that helped the sound of the CD changer and tonight I got a Sony 707ESD and it sounds wonderful to me. It's old like me and fits what I like to hear. Smooth sound and no sibilance. Terrific bass if and plenty of clear detail.

With a newer preamp coming to replace the aging C-26 all I plan to do now is make some better quality ICs than I have.

Re: All done now [message #14356 is a reply to message #14354] Tue, 05 December 2006 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Are you using it with your Entech DAC?

Re: All done now [message #14357 is a reply to message #14356] Tue, 05 December 2006 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I haven't yet Wayne. I'm kind of in a state of flux here. I bought a newer preamp (C-31V) and I'm sort of waiting for it to get here and then decide what the final setup will consist of. I will try it for sure. One problem is rack space. The shelves are too close together to get two components on the same shelf. Only when one is ultra thin like the Rane AC-22 can I do it.

To my ears the Sony 222ES with the DAC sounds almost as good as the 707 alone.

I don't know what to do about vinyl. My records are pretty noisy and my TT isn't anything to write home about. I'll hook it up to the newer preamp and see if the phono stage makes any difference in noise level. I just don't want to start another drain by buying new TT and records. I have a Nitty Gritty cleaning machine but the pops, clicks and such are still too distracting to me.

I'm still surprised at myself for buying a newer preamp After all I've had the C-26 since 1971. Seems almost a little late in the game to be changing now

Have a great holiday season.

Mike

Re: All done now [message #14360 is a reply to message #14356] Fri, 15 December 2006 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Well that's a really involved process I bought a newer preamp off the bay and so they sent me a tuner So now I'm waiting for the preamp to arrive. I was very nice because things do happen. So anyway they also threw in some stuff since I was a good sport. What that is I don't know.

Once I get the new preamp installed I should have quite a few hours on the Entech and I'll compare the Sony's DAC to the Entech on the fly. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before the whole preamp deal is done. I'm trading the one I bought for a newer model if all goes well

When that is complete all that will be left is making IC's & speaker cables and I should be done for a while.....I hope

Re: All done now [message #14361 is a reply to message #14360] Sat, 16 December 2006 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! Sounds like you scored! What tuner is it? Is it in good shape? You bought a preamp and they threw in a tuner just for fun? That's great!

Re: All done now [message #14362 is a reply to message #14361] Sat, 16 December 2006 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
The tuner is a MR-7082 which is OK I suppose. I'm sending this one on to whomever wins the auction. My preamp should be here by the middle of next week.

I think digital tuners are pretty unremarkable looking compared to the old analog tuners. I guess I'm just old fashioned amoung other things

Re: All done now [message #14366 is a reply to message #14362] Mon, 25 December 2006 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you there!

Re: All done now [message #14380 is a reply to message #14354] Mon, 23 April 2007 12:46 Go to previous message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
If you like the quality of the music you are getting from the sound system then whats with the upgrade? Can it get any better than what it is?

Previous Topic: Roberts 770 not keeping speed
Next Topic: Denon DP-300F
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:17:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout