Home » Audio » Source » Any recommendations on DVD-A/SACD players?
Any recommendations on DVD-A/SACD players? [message #14299] Mon, 06 March 2006 18:59 Go to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
I'm considering purchasing a universal DVD-A/SACD player and am soliciting recommendations. I am interested in a machine that will play DVD-A, SACD, and regular CDs and have absolutely no interest in video. The Ayre Acoustics C-5xe has the features I am looking for, but I am not willing to pay $6,000. Actually, I'd like to stay below $500. Although it doesn't fit my purest criteria, the Marantz DV6600 available from Audio Advisor looks pretty good. Anyone have knowledge or experience with this particular unit? Also, where is a good internet source for purchasing DVD-A CDs and SACDs?

Sony DVP-NC875V, DVP-NS90V, DVP-NS3100ES/B or DVP-NS9100ES/B [message #14300 is a reply to message #14299] Mon, 06 March 2006 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Recently, I picked up a Sony CD/SACD/DVD player, model DVP-NC875V. I was making a quick purchase to get me going while looking for a quality transport. The multi-player in my second system was getting intermittent, and I was tired of skipping. I didn't want to rush my decision on a better unit, so I bought an inexpensive model, just to get by for a while. But this model sounds surprisingly good, especially for a multi-player. You might want to check one out. With the money you save, you can buy an outboard DAC.

There are other more expensive Sony CD/SACD/DVD models available, so you might look at them too. Sony is definitely a mainsteam manufacturer, and that might not be what some would look to match with other high-end gear, but considering Sony's innovations in the audio disc market, I'd say they probably should be given a fair shot.

Re: Sony DVP-NC875V, DVP-NS90V, DVP-NS3100ES/B or DVP-NS9100ES/B [message #14301 is a reply to message #14300] Tue, 07 March 2006 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne, thanks for the advice. However, I am looking for something that will play both DVD-A and SACD. As far as I know, Sony does not make a player with DVD-A capability. The feature I like about the Marantz DV6600 is that the video function can be turned off during music play. I've also read good things about the Yamaha DV-S5770 universal player. I'm leaning toward the Marantz at this point, but I'm open to investigating other alternatives.

Re: Any recommendations on DVD-A/SACD players? [message #14302 is a reply to message #14299] Tue, 07 March 2006 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paba is currently offline  paba
Chancellor
Ok some low cost options that do DVD-A and SACD,

onkyo DV-SP502
Samsung HD-950
Pioneer DV-588A-S
Denon DVD-1920
Toshiba SD-6915 Multi-disc
Toshiba SD-6980
Yamaha DV-S5860
Yamaha DVD-S657 `

Note: non of these decode HDCD.

Note2: if you need audio only, keep in mind that some of these were ment to be used with a TV, so track navigation and some features might be tricky to get to front remote or front panel only. Try before you buy.

Note3: I've heard non of these.

Note4: I didn't check if they do multi channel SACD, if that is important to you.

cheers
paba

Re: Sony DVP-NC875V, DVP-NS90V, DVP-NS3100ES/B or DVP-NS9100ES/B [message #14303 is a reply to message #14301] Tue, 07 March 2006 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gotcha. If you get the Marantz or the Yamaha, let us know how they sound, will you?

Re: Any recommendations on DVD-A/SACD players? [message #14304 is a reply to message #14299] Mon, 13 March 2006 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tre' is currently offline  Tre'
Baron
I have heard that very few players that play both DVD-A and SACD play SACD correctly. Most of them change the single bit stream to PCM and run it through the PCM DAC. People say this ruins SACD.

Tre'

Re: Any recommendations on DVD-A/SACD players? [message #14305 is a reply to message #14304] Tue, 14 March 2006 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
From what I've been reading, a lot of the more inexpnsive DVD players do convert DSD to PCM, but I've never read anything that indicates that the sound is "ruined". Actually, everything I've read on the internet seems to show that there is not any noticeable audible differences between the direct DSD and the conversion to PCM. Of course, what sounds good is very subjective among reviewers so there may be some that have had the opportunity to compare that may say otherwise.

Re: Any recommendations on DVD-A/SACD players? [message #14306 is a reply to message #14305] Tue, 14 March 2006 22:36 Go to previous message
Tre' is currently offline  Tre'
Baron
It's just what I've read. When I was at Fry's I looked at the one rack of DVD-A's and the two racks of SACD and bought a cheap SACD player.
I don't really know anything about the subject. I was just looking to replace my CD player. The sony sounds much better than the old NAD I was using with an outboard 18 bit DAC on my CD's so I'm happy. The two SACD's I have sound much better than CD but not as good a LP.

Tre'

Previous Topic: Linn Arm and Ortofon Cart
Next Topic: Alternatives to Technics SL-1200
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:59:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers