Home » Audio » Source » where are the Toshiba SD 3950's?
where are the Toshiba SD 3950's? [message #14283] Wed, 18 January 2006 23:08 Go to next message
ARTIdaho is currently offline  ARTIdaho
Chancellor

have they all passed me by? I often read negative comments on them, but never see one for sale??

any help finding on will be greatly appreciated. Thanx much, Chuck

Re: where are the Toshiba SD 3950's? [message #14284 is a reply to message #14283] Thu, 19 January 2006 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Another $50 product that was supposed to beat all the high end gear.
Bit the dust.
-akhilesh

Re: where are the Toshiba SD 3950's? [message #14285 is a reply to message #14284] Thu, 26 January 2006 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

Well, got a brand new 3950 in today and I must say that as new, unmodified it sounds much better than my Marantz and my sons HK. They are not high end units, but I'll never get close to one of those anyway. Already have a couple of really good .68 uF capacitors coming in to bypass the ouput. I will do that, add feet off my Mitsubishi, loosen the drawer rubber mounts and stiffen the top of the metal case by adding a glued solid popular top ad sides and use the heck out of it (been using the Marantz for over 12 years.

:), Chuck

Re: where are the Toshiba SD 3950's? [message #14286 is a reply to message #14285] Fri, 27 January 2006 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
SOunds good, Chuck.
I am looking forward to your thoughts on how it sounds, after your mods.
I bought one of these when the craze first hit. THe mechanism was way too cheap for me to look at it as a long term buy. I listened to it (let it burn in for 12-15 hours) and it sounded worse than my sources.
So I returned it.
I would love to hear your take on it after you mod it.
-akhilesh

Re: where are the Toshiba SD 3950's? [message #14287 is a reply to message #14286] Fri, 27 January 2006 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, yeah. But look what you're comparing it with.

Re: where are the Toshiba SD 3950's? [message #14288 is a reply to message #14286] Fri, 27 January 2006 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

Thanx much, AK......my thoughts on CD players (that I could afford) is none are very permanent. I used my Marantz for a lot of years but it never sounded very good. I'll use the 3950 'till something better comes along, then toss it. I love the sound, but the way the wiring straps are attached leaves a lot to be desired and I don't expect the mechanics will last too long. That is why I'm just doing the Swenson 'elimination (less is better') mod instead of the more elaberate 'replace everthing electronic (caps) mods. Regards, Chuck AK AKIdaho

Re: where are the Toshiba SD 3950's? [message #14289 is a reply to message #14287] Sat, 28 January 2006 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
True. not fair to compare a top of the line source to a budget player that sounds really good for the money, and compared to many mid-fi players as well.

The bidat uses some sort of algorithm that basically I think uses bitstream, but balances both time domain and frequency domain...some sort of compromise adaptive alogorithm.
It sounds real clean to me.
THe delta sigma stuff (all the current dacs) sound smooth, but somehow artficial, after listening to the bidat.
But yeah, the toshiba was good, just not what I was looking for.
I prefer the older CD players that are built like tanks.
-akhilesh

Re: where are the Toshiba SD 3950's? [message #14292 is a reply to message #14289] Wed, 08 February 2006 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
well, today I finished my initial (and probably ony) mods to my spanking new Toshiba 3950. Because of the low cost of the unit and uncertain longevity I decided to go with the 'less is more' approach (a la Swensen).

Instead of removing the DAC output coupling capacitors (C910 & C912) and tapping in wires that ran outside the unit to large (physically) .47 uF caps that were attached to 'hanging RCA jacks, I decided to make internal mods that were not so homely.

First I removed C910 & C912 to disconnect the DAC from the final digital filter and OpAmp (as did Swenson). Instead of removing the circuit board (as Swenson did) I decided to make the entire mod above the board. The main reason is that the flat strap wiring harnesses are built so flimsily that I decided that taking them apart may cause permanent problems.

I removed the capacitor by grasping with flat nosed pliers and twisting them in a constant circular motion until they snapped off. The first one I tried to snip with dikes but the left over lead was a little short. By experimentation I found the twisting left enough lead to work with.

I used the same removal method to take outC918 and C20 to disconnect the OpAmp from the RCA jacks.

There are two small yellow caps next to the RCA jacks that go between the RCA jacks and ground. Another DIY post claimed by others the removal further enhance the output signal of the Swenson mod, so I performed the twisting removal of those. Starting to be fun by now!

In the (6) capacitor removal, what was left was their leads flat against the circuit board and touching each other at the center. I used a small flat blade screwdriver to pluck the remainig wire away from the board for tinning.

The inner leads of the two small yellow capacitors connect to the signal lead of the RCA jacks so I decided to take advantage of them for my added capacitor connections.

The remaining proceedure is simply to tin the capacitors, and the upright short ckt bd leads and attatch new coupling capacitors.

I ordered .68 Uf poly German made ERO's and the man on Ebay sent a couple of extra samples of ERO .47Uf caps. The .47's were somewhat smaller than the .68's so I decided to use them (they are the size Swnson used anyway). Even tho I had previously figured the .68's were more suited to my Technics SU8600's preamp in, I think the size difference justified using the .47's.

I installed the new ERO's to the short leads left from C910 & C912 and the RCA jack side of the leads left from removal od the small yellow caps.

Because the ckt bd leads were so short (about 3/16") I could not make a mechanical connection prior to soldering and had to rely on a good solder job. This is difficult with two hands and help would be advised to make sure there is no movement while the solder sets.

That's it! Initial sound trials were very satisfying. I have no good reference to what the stock 3950's great sound was like, but It seemed to me that there was a noticeable improvement. I am a opera fanatic so I put on some standards like Rene Fleming and others that I had been listening to for years and I do love what the little unit does for the.....especially when they hit their highs.

sorry for the long wind and no pic's. Every time I try to upload a pic I use way two many bits of info and get rejected. Chuck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by AK 47 : 02-04-2006 at 08:39 PM.

Re: where are the Toshiba SD 3950's? [message #14298 is a reply to message #14283] Fri, 03 March 2006 19:29 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's human nature. People get more excited over a $50 component that sounds like $150 than they do over a $5K component that sounds like $5K. My 3950 was $48 from Amazon with free shipping, and I decided to go first class and do the upgrade with $5 caps. With the upgrade it definitely sound better than other $48 mass market DVD players, but not as good as the typical $500 mid fi CD player. I recently heard an $11K Esoteric SACD player, and while I would like to say the Toshiba kicked its butt, it didn't. If you have an extra $11K in the checking account get the Esoteric, but if you don't even have $100 the Toshiba 3950, or the current model that replaced it, would be a good choice. The reason you don't see any for sale is because it's not even worth posting an ad for the $40 or whatever a used one would bring. I have so little invested in mine that there's no motivation to sell it, even though it's sitting on a shelf in the workroom.

Previous Topic: Digital Optimized
Next Topic: turntable upgrade?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 16:04:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout