Home » Audio » Source » Interesting DAC Bargain - $135
Interim Report [message #14263 is a reply to message #14262] Fri, 09 September 2005 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
With about 40 hours running time I decided to compare it to my Onix XCD-88 player and my Scott Nixon tube dac. So far the Scott Nixon and the Onix are tied, with the Lite DAC in third place. I really do need to give this DAC another 50 hours before forming any conclusions, but at this point it sounds just a bit opaque compared to the other two, which sound transparent in comparison.

I did rig it briefly as a non oversampling dac just to hear the difference, and the opacity/harshness was gone but so was the upper treble. I did this mod by attaching jumper cables to the leads of R35 and R36, tapping into the output of the dacs before the op amps. The positive lead from each resistor was connected through a 3uF Northcreek cap for DC isolation, then into the interconnect to the preamp. I made no other changes such as removing the op amps.

I would appreciate it if someone who knows more about dac design would look at the link below and tell me if these resistors are the correct place to tap into the dac chip outputs. There's a link to the schematic in this article.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC/dac5.html

2nd Interim Report [message #14264 is a reply to message #14263] Mon, 12 September 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In my first report I mentioned a slight opaqueness/harshness. As the DAC continued to break in this did not diminish. I want to clarify this isn't a glaring fault, and it might not even be noticed with lower resolution speakers, but it did persist and the bottom line was that the "magic" just wasn't there for me.

Yesterday afternoon, as a last resort, I removed the OPA627 op amps and reinstalled the OPA602's. After a night of repeating the breakin track from the Stereophile Test CD #3 the harshness is now gone. Go figure! This isn't a bad DAC, especially when you consider the $135 price tag. The bass and lower midrange are a bit more pronounced, and is about 5dB louder than my Scott Nixon tube dac, making it an especially good choice for anyone with bass shy speakers like Fostex single drivers and many horn speakers. The soundstage is more convincing than the SN dac - wider with a slightly better separation and isolation of instruments.

Upgrade [message #14265 is a reply to message #14264] Tue, 13 September 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This dac continues to impress me. This morning I did the first upgrade, replacing the cheap electrolytic output caps with Northcreek Zen 3uF metallized polypropylene. Fortunately the case consists of separate metal panels for the front, back, sides, top, and bottom, so it's easy to take it apart and work on the circuit board without having to unsolder any connections. The parts on this board, like most digital components, are small, so it was good that I used caps with stranded leads. I was able to cut all but three or four of the individual wires that form each lead, and even then it was hard to get them through the tiny holes in the board.

I wish I could say I hear an improvement, but it's so hard to tell that I will just rely on my faith that a quality metal poly cap sounds better than a 50 cent electrolytic.

Re: Upgrade [message #14266 is a reply to message #14265] Tue, 13 September 2005 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm reeeeally wanting to get together and hear your DAC-AH and the Scott Nixon DAC compared with it. I'm anxious to hear that Onix CD player too. Maybe I'll get a chance to come to one of the next Texas audio club meetings or you can come to one of the Oklahoma meetings. Then again, the next GPAF will be here before we know it...

DAC-60 or 72? How about the DAC-68? [message #14267 is a reply to message #14255] Thu, 15 September 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Actually, the one that intrigues me the most is the DAC-68. At $575 it's still dirt cheap by audio price standards, but it seems to offer some better internal parts than the others. Looking at the pictures of the inside on the Lite Audio web site I see some M Caps and a few other parts I usually don't see in audio components that sell for less than $2K or more.

http://www.liteaudio.com/2005-1-22/2005122154743.htm

What are the white rectangular parts near the output jacks? They look like rectangular metallized poly Wima-type caps but I don't recognize the information printed on them. Are they the "Full Balance LPF using discrete transistor components (four LPF)" described in the DiyClub DAC-68 site? What is an "LPF".

One More Time - What's an LPF? [message #14268 is a reply to message #14267] Thu, 15 September 2005 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What are the white rectangular parts near the output jacks? They look like rectangular metallized poly Wima-type caps but I don't recognize the information printed on them. Are they the "Full Balance LPF using discrete transistor components (four LPF)" described in the DiyClub DAC-68 site? What is an "LPF".

http://www.liteaudio.com/2005-1-22/2005122154743.htm

Re: One More Time - What's an LPF? [message #14269 is a reply to message #14268] Thu, 15 September 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I imagine LPF stands for low pass filter. Most DACs have one on the output. It passes signals under 20kHz and filters ultrasonic switching artifacts.

The white parts look like capacitors to me. Can you see from the traces what they connect to?

DOH! [message #14270 is a reply to message #14269] Fri, 16 September 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks, that makes sense. Why didn't I think of that. The traces aren't visible in the picture, but given the mystery parts' position on the board they probably are located beteeen the tube output stage and the output jacks in the signal path. If I get serious about buying one I'll send an email asking about them.

Interestingly, I looked at the Diy Biz web page this morning and the DAC-38 is still included in the list of offerings, but when you click on it the page that comes up says "There are no products to list in this category". Are they playing games with my head, or is it divine providence delivering me from temptation by removing the source?

Re: DOH! [message #14271 is a reply to message #14270] Fri, 16 September 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm thinking those caps may be B+ decoupling (PS filter) caps or output coupling caps. Since there's no transformer visible, it is probably capacitor coupled on the outputs. Keeps the plate voltage off the signal output.

Opportunity To Hear The DAC-AH [message #14272 is a reply to message #14266] Sun, 18 September 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Our best opportunity before the 2006 GPAF would be the next time the Dallas Audio Club has an all member meeting. Club members already have several Scott Nixon DACs so I could bring the DAC-AH and the Onix player. I sold the Fredarray II's today and have several hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket:) I might just order a DAC-60 too. I looked at the inside pictures and a schematic and there are wonderful opportunities for upgrading. There's a picture of the inside of an upgraded DAC-72, which is the same as the 60 except for one chip. I would include a link but it's on the Taco Bell forum, so I'm including this link to my picture pages:

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132868/25/36512237

I have reached a final conclusion about the DAC-AH: It sounds very nice, and I prefer the overall sound to the Scott Nixon dac and the Onix XCD-88 player. It is voiced toward the warm side, which probably isn't the best match for my tube electronics and warmly voiced line arrays. It would be a super choice for a solid state mid fi system that's voiced toward the bright side - It won't attenuate the treble at all, but it will improve the treble/midbass balance. It might also be good in a system using single driver speakers that tend to be a bit light in the bass.

Previous Topic: Sony PS-LX250H Stop Button
Next Topic: Thorens TD145 + Ortofon MC 20 - HELP!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:59:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio