Home » Audio » Source » Interesting DAC Bargain - $135
Re: Opportunity To Hear The DAC-AH [message #14273 is a reply to message #14272] Mon, 19 September 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I need to replace a player that's on the fritz, but I've been too busy to fool with it. So I'm interested in this very much.

DAC-60 Arrived Today [message #14274 is a reply to message #14250] Mon, 26 September 2005 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Returned from the hurricane evacuation shelter (son's house in Austin) at 2:30 this morning, and the DAC showed up about noon. This is the one that sells for $368; UPS air shipping adds another $90 to the final price. I looked under the hood and I'm impressed. Nice heavy construction, two R-core trannies, six separate regulated power supplies, two 24/96 Burr Brown PCM-1704 dac chips (one for each channel), discrete components in the 3rd order filter, EH-6922 tube output stage (no op amps!). Sounds very good right out of the box. I'm confident it would be priced around $1,368 instead of $368 and would receive rave reviews in Stereophile if Musical Fidelity or another of their favored manufacturers bought it from the same Chinese OEM manufacturer and sold it with their badge on it instead of the Lite Audio name.

Re: DAC-60 Arrived Today [message #14275 is a reply to message #14274] Mon, 26 September 2005 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad to hear you're alright; Better still, you come home to find a present on your doorstep next day!

Welcome home!

First Upgrade [message #14276 is a reply to message #14274] Fri, 30 September 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I replaced the resistor in the CRC tube section high voltage power supply with a 10 henry choke and applied chassis damping material to the top cover and accessible areas inside the chassis. Picture at http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132868/1/38101224

It isn't that great IMO. [message #14277 is a reply to message #14250] Sat, 22 October 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mac is currently offline  mac
Esquire
I bought one, upgraded the opamps to OPA627BP and replaced the output coupling caps with BG NX. It sounds okay in my system but I prefer the BB dac inside my SB2.

Second Upgrade [message #14279 is a reply to message #14276] Fri, 18 November 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Vlad Bazelkov of Audio Mirror was by the house last month, spotted the DAC-60, and asked if he could look inside. I told him to take it back to his shop and have his way with it:) I got it back today with a few mods, including a bypass cap on the cathode resistors, and the 6922's replaced with 6N1P's. Initially when I received the DAC-60 my only disappointment was that the treble sounded a bit attenuated compared to the analog output of my Onix CD player. That is no longer a problem with the upgrades - the treble is very good, and I believe the soundsage is more convincing and the overall sound is a bit more dynamic too. This thing definitely is a keeper. I believe the next change will be to upgrade the output caps, probably with Auricaps (the stock caps are those blue rectangular thingies behind the tubes in the photo).

Re: Second Upgrade [message #14280 is a reply to message #14279] Fri, 18 November 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, that's cool. I really need to follow your example, I've just been too busy to look up. Maybe after the holidays, first of the year, I'll check in with you and see what's best for a medium priced CD player and DAC. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Re: DAC 60 or 72 [message #14293 is a reply to message #14259] Sat, 11 February 2006 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bluemeteor is currently offline  bluemeteor
Esquire
All:

Here is the low-down on the Lite Audio DACs.

The Lite DAC-AH is the only Lite DAC that does not over sample. A description of what it does can be found at www.pacificvalve.us

The Lite DAC 72 – forget it. It uses an old Burr Brown chip, the PCM1702P-K. This chip sounded bright and thin. Spend the extra money and get the DAC 60 which uses an excellent AD converter called the BB PCM 1704U-K.

Now it gets even harder. Recently there have been a number of DAC 60s out of Hong Kong outfits with the PCM1704U chip instead of the PCM1704U-K chip. BIG difference between the two.

Then there is the DAC 68, and I have heard one and I am going to get one. Incredible resolution and very smooth sound.

There is more – there is also a DAC 38, and a DAC 39 Upsampler. I do not know if Pacific Valve is going to carry these.

Phew!

Re: Second Upgrade [message #14308 is a reply to message #14279] Sat, 08 April 2006 10:59 Go to previous message
rick is currently offline  rick
Baron
Mr.FredT:

I just bought the dac60 and consider changing output caps like you've done to yours. I looked at your photo's at smugmug. I thought the stock caps show 2uf on them, curious as to your use of 3.3 cap. I wonder also the bypass cap is it a different type? Also through your modifications has the bass rendering and other improvements been realized? Thanks for any reply. This is a quantum leap for me digitally as I've used a cheap Sony carousel player for years. Now I have a cheap Yamaha carousel player heads above the Sony and with a digital out. Hence the Lite60. Doggies, what a difference. It's been fun listening to old familiar c.d's. My only impression thats wee less than sterling is that bass on some recordings,(not all)seems a little bit coy and I've read that it is such a characteristic to this particular dac. So if slipping a cap in tweeks it more heavy hittin I'm in. Thanks again.
Rick

Previous Topic: Sony PS-LX250H Stop Button
Next Topic: Thorens TD145 + Ortofon MC 20 - HELP!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:38:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio