Home » Audio » Source » Audio CD-R Compatibility
Audio CD-R Compatibility [message #14242] Mon, 08 August 2005 19:51 Go to next message
wiretwister is currently offline  wiretwister
Esquire
I've been searching around a while but have not found much information on the subject of audio CD-R compatibility...

When I burn an audio CD in the TDK device in my PC, using Roxio Creator, the resulting disc does not play on a number of CD players around the house. It will play on my Sony RCD-W1 audio CD recorder. An audio CD burned on the Sony plays on all the other CD players around the house. However, if I take an audio CD that was burned in the PC and put it in the Sony to make a copy, that copy will likewise not play on many other CD players. By the way, all players tested will play pre-recorded CD's from the record store just fine, and I'm using standard 74 minute blanks.

It seems to me that there is some kind of a formatting issue among older and newer CD players and burners. How can I make (on my PC) an audio CD that will have the best chance of playing on all existing players?

The TDK burner in my PC works great with .mp3 and Sony's ATRACS formats, but I'm seriously considering skipping it altogether and purchasing a USB-to-Toslink cable to transfer digital audio from the PC directly to the Sony CD recorder. But I'm not absolutely sure that even this method is foolproof.

Why am I concerned about this? Friends want me to transfer vinyl LP's to audio CD's, and most of them aren't into .mp3 and such. They just want plain old audio CD's. I'd like to help them out, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time and then hand them a disc that doesn't play in their equipment.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Re: Audio CD-R Compatibility [message #14243 is a reply to message #14242] Mon, 08 August 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I noticed that too, so I checked into the reasons why that was. I used to burn CDs occasionally, and noticed that one of my car stereos wouldn't recognize CD-Rs. They're actually physically quite different than permanent CDs, having a dye inside rather than metal. CD-RWs have a pretty complex material inside made of aluminum and three or four other minerals that form a crystal which is literally melted when recorded. Some players recognize some or all formats, and others don't. To make things even more complicated, some brands of disks are enough different than the others that not all brands of players will work with each one. And to make things further complicated still, there's a standard for CD-R disks, but there isn't one for CD-RW disks. There is a CD-RW standard actually, but not every manufacturer adheres to it. I'm surprised the market has accepted such a mish-mosh of nonstandards, but that's the way it is.

Great link on CDR family tree, Wayne (NT) [message #14244 is a reply to message #14243] Tue, 09 August 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
NT
-akhilesh

Re: Audio CD-R Compatibility [message #14245 is a reply to message #14243] Tue, 09 August 2005 21:54 Go to previous message
wiretwister is currently offline  wiretwister
Esquire
Hi Wayne, and thanks for the information. It seems to me that another area of complexity, besides media type, has to do with how a disk is recorded. Such as my situation where a CD-R burned on my Sony audio recorder deck will play in my Gemini DJ-type player, but another disc from the same package will not play in the Gemini if it has been burned in the TDK drive in the PC. However, it will play in the Sony, so the PC-burned CD-R is not totally defective.

I'm wondering how those Internet businesses that take your old vinyl and tapes and restore the audio to CD's get around this problem...or maybe they don't.
Peace,
Mike

Previous Topic: AR mods: Merrill sub chassis
Next Topic: Ping Hurdy-Gurdy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 01:46:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers