Home » Audio » Source » Onix XCD-88
Onix XCD-88 [message #14223] Thu, 14 July 2005 19:36 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Has anyone else bought one? It seemed like such a good deal at $299 that I ordered one. I took some picts of the inside and compared then to the Music Hall CD-25 which is supposed to be the same rebranded Shandling player. See for yourself at the link below. I understand there are some upgrades, like replacing the op amps, that make a difference. There's an article on the Parts Connexion's CD-25 upgrade at http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/musichall/cd25.2.html

Re: Onix XCD-88 [message #14224 is a reply to message #14223] Fri, 15 July 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Cool! Can't wait to hear it! How do you like it? I may have to try one out too.

Re: Onix XCD-88 [message #14225 is a reply to message #14224] Fri, 15 July 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The fit and finish are very good. I plan to leave it on repeat for a week or so before I form any conclusions about how it sounds, but I believe I already know the answer: With the development of better DAC chips combined with the economies of Chinese production today's $500 CD player sounds better than the $500 players that were offered five or more years ago. I would be surprised if it didn't better my Marantz CD-67SE. On top of that, AV123 is offering this $500 player for $299.

I will be especially interested in hearing how it compares to the current crop of non-oversampling DAC's such as the Scott Nixon tube DAC, the dAck! DAC, and Audio Mirror DAC. These inexpensive DAC's are the topic of the Houston Audio Society's August meeting, where we will compare all three to the DSD and PCM analog outputs of a Sony SCD-XA9000ES SACD player.

I believe I will bring the Onix along, and if the other members will tolerate a lowly $299 player, compare it to the external DAC's, with some experienced listeners evaluating the differences. I'll post the results here.

Re: Onix XCD-88 [message #14226 is a reply to message #14225] Fri, 15 July 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd love to be there and I'm anxious to hear what everyone has to say.

So Far It's Thumbs Down [message #14227 is a reply to message #14226] Sat, 16 July 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Onix has now been on repeat for two days, so it should be on its way to being broken in. The bottom line is at this point I prefer the $48 Toshiba 3950 with the infamous John Swenson mod. The Onix soundstage is more forward and less three-dimensional, and the tonal character sounds a bit less delicate to my ears. With the Toshiba, on any CD where there's a solo instrument placed off center, that instrument sounds more like it's suspended at a specific depth within a background of quiet. With the Onix the instrument is less specifically located on the left-to-right plane, and even less so in the front to back plane. This is true even with an HDCD like the Reference Recordings' John Rutter Requium CD (the Onix has HDCD capability; the Toshiba doesn't).

Re: So Far It's Thumbs Down [message #14228 is a reply to message #14227] Sun, 17 July 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gotcha. Thanks for the update.

Re: So Far It's Thumbs Down [message #14229 is a reply to message #14228] Sun, 17 July 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
At this point I would have to describe the Onix as "uninvolving". I've swapped it out with the modded Toshiba several times, and each time I find myself drawn into the music with the Toshiba and distracted by the Onix's two dimensional presentation. For those who are unfamiliar with the Toshiba mod, it taps into the circuit immediately after the DAC (removing the filter and analog stage op amps from the signal path) and reroutes the signal to a pair of RCA's through high quality capacitors.

The Onix came with an OPA2134 set, which is considered good and offers the quality that's typcially heard in "budget" (under $3,000) players. I've ordered a set of the more expensive OPA627s, which would be used in only the most expensive players. These are single opa chips so they require an adapter board which I also ordered. Somebody on another forum did this upgrade and said that the sound stage become more focused and the instruments got more separation.

In the meantime the Onix sounds very good as a transport for the external Scott Nixon DAC.

Patience Is Not My Greatest Virtue [message #14231 is a reply to message #14229] Wed, 20 July 2005 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
After a few more days of running full time the Onix player has progressed from uninvolving to invloving. What I mean by that is when I sit to listen I'm no longer tempted to remove the Onix and replace it with the modded Toshiba or the Scott Nixon DAC. It's still not quite equal to the Scott Nixon but for $299 it's a helluva deal, and I haven't upgraded the Op Amps yet. So if you have $1,000 to spend on a CD player you can do better, but if you've been thinking of upgrading from a mass market player and your budget is limited you should consider the Onix as a definite step up.

Re: Patience Is Not My Greatest Virtue [message #14233 is a reply to message #14231] Thu, 21 July 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm anxious to hear one sometime, Fred. Thanks for taking the time to evaluate and write about it.

OP Amp Upgrade [message #14234 is a reply to message #14233] Fri, 22 July 2005 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The upgrade OPA627 op amps arrived yesterday and the adapters arrived today. The stock op amps are two channel chips while the 627's are single channel, so you have to get an adapter for each channel. The Parts Connexion sells the 627's installed in adapter boards for $50 ea, or you can buy a set of five 627's from USA Caps on Ebay for $24.99 and order two adapter boards from Cimmaron Technologies for $3 each. If there ever was a no-brainer this is it.

Five for $25 sounds like cheap parts to me, but this kind of op amp would only be used in the better players, typically in the $3K range and above, so they are a significant improvement over the stock ones. It took about five minutes of warmup to begin to hear the difference. I'll leave it on repeat all night, but already there's an improvement in the separation of instruments, L to R and F to B, within the soundstage. With the op amp upgrade this has become a seriously good CD player which I would recommend without reservation to anyone considering an upgrade from a mass market player or from an older mid fi player.

Previous Topic: turntable advice?
Next Topic: Cartridge selection question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 05:40:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout