Home » Audio » Source » Ipod
Ipod [message #14151] Sun, 12 December 2004 20:05 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Anyone have thoughts on the Ipod?

Re: Ipod [message #14153 is a reply to message #14151] Mon, 13 December 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
My only thoughts are that they're interesting. I've never checked into them - They're MPEG recorder/players, aren't they? If so, I'd expect they can be set for quality verses recording time.

Re: Ipod [message #14154 is a reply to message #14153] Tue, 14 December 2004 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats what I need help with. They can play MP3/wav/mpg and whatever else is out there. This is nonsense with all these formats. Anyway; I would like to see if anyone has experience with Ipod or MP3 and which can sound better. So far on the net they say the Ipod has a cheap analog output section and doesn't sound as good on wav files. I record off the internet radio and much of this stuff is unobtainable anywhere. So I have to download it and then burn it to CD. I would rather burn it to a portable player.

Re: Ipod [message #14156 is a reply to message #14154] Thu, 16 December 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

There also those mem stick recorders which might be an
option.

Also from my brief tour of the Linux world, they seem
to be enchanted with Ogg Vorbis file format for it's
compactness and sound quality.

I have been subscribed to the Audiograbber forum
for years. Over there I think they'd be able to give
the lowdown on this stuff plus whatever is offered
in here.

Re: Ipod [message #14171 is a reply to message #14151] Wed, 05 January 2005 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Useful to play portable music.
Having a crummy analog output means it can still be used as a hard disk!

Many possible file formats are available: WMA, AAC, AIFF, Wav all of which are apparently decent. The problem is some of these use DRM, which may affect sound quality.

Check out real player's harmny technology that allows multiple files to be played on iPod. Apple has countered by altering the DRM logic in newer versions of ipod, so that real player tunes cannot be played on IPOD, and only itunes downloaded files can be played.
I am fundamentally in favor of plain oild CDs, without DRM, becuase it think it offers the best sound quality.
-akhilesh

Re: Ipod [message #14174 is a reply to message #14151] Fri, 07 January 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My sister practically sleeps with hers on. Unfortunately, without the docking station, there's no option for lineout. The only output from the standalone unit is headphone out and that runs the signal through a lousy driver. She doesn't have the docking station, so I can't say how much better a direct lineout is.

"Inside iPod" - an article in Electronics Design magazine [message #14186 is a reply to message #14151] Tue, 01 February 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Ipod [message #14211 is a reply to message #14151] Wed, 04 May 2005 11:19 Go to previous message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

5,000 + songs on a portable battery operated device which the quality is supposed to be good on. 5 seconds to transfer a complete CD to the Ipod. A lot of books available at the local book supermart the functions they are so vast. The most stolen item in New York (somebody wants them) that they issue warnings about them getting stolen. Random functions, programmable functions. Cost of 300-500 bucks. Adds a remote as well to control volume, songs, etc. Link is below to specs.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9128G/A

I'm thinking I'd like one as sole input device on the system I'm building now. Set it up with some t-amps and you've got a mobile party going on. The only problem would be the active crossover getting power. Hmmm.

It's worth looking at.

Grant.

Previous Topic: Blue Note: A history of Modern Jazz
Next Topic: tonearm suggestions needed for Luxman PD350?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:29:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio