Home » Audio » Source » line up tape on R2R
line up tape on R2R [message #14035] Tue, 28 October 2008 12:46 Go to next message
James is currently offline  James
Chancellor
I have the Pioneer RT 909 and the problem I have is that when the tape is starting it comes off track. How do I line up tape so that it plays?
Thanks, James

Re: line up tape on R2R [message #14036 is a reply to message #14035] Wed, 29 October 2008 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Is your pinch roller in good shape? Check to see if it has softened. After a while, they tend to become gummy and the tape sticks to the roller.

Re: line up tape on R2R [message #14038 is a reply to message #14035] Sat, 08 November 2008 02:23 Go to previous message
slbender is currently offline  slbender
Chancellor

YEAH, the RT-909 pinch rollers really do turn to GOO.... especially with sunlight or repeated alcohol exposure or cleaning. Almost unavailable these days... once the pinch rollers go "out-of-round" the tape will wander all over the place. Check that the twin capstans are totally clean of debris!

Actually its very, very easy to make the RT-909 FUBAR!!! Not even mentioning the many "failure modes" that can also mess you up - like really worn heads; someone tweaking the half a dozen internal controls for torque and tension; the main flywheel belt being stretched and basically non-elastic; and wandering, or disassembly where someone lost those little nylon "balls" that the flywheels balance on; gee I could go on and on, but you get the idea...

-Steven L. Bender, Designer of Vintage Audio Equipment

Previous Topic: Sony TC650
Next Topic: Maybe I should get counseling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:31:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers