Home » Audio » Source » Detecting Dolby B encoding on cassettes
Detecting Dolby B encoding on cassettes [message #14018] Thu, 31 July 2008 14:30 Go to next message
Hometaper is currently offline  Hometaper
Esquire
I have quite a few old cassette tapes that I'm transferring to CDs. But some of the tapes are not labeled as to whether they were recorded with Dolby B encoding or not. I know some were and some weren't, I just don't know which is which. I try to detect it by ear (switching the Dolby decoder on & off on the cassette deck where I'm playing the tape), but sometimes it's really hard to be sure, especially with just a short listen. Is there a more objective way to detect quickly whether the tape was recorded with Dolby B? Maybe some sort of spectrum analysis?

Re: Detecting Dolby B encoding on cassettes [message #14019 is a reply to message #14018] Fri, 01 August 2008 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Dolby B is really just treble pre-emphasis with automatic gain control. I've noticed a lot of store bought tapes from the seventies were so cheap they didn't have much HF extension, so the pre-emphasis was lost. My suggestion is to test them by ear, because even if you know a tape was recorded with Dolby B, if the tape doesn't have much on it above 10kHz, I don't think I'd want the Dolby B decoder to take away what little was left.

Re: Detecting Dolby B encoding on cassettes [message #14020 is a reply to message #14019] Sun, 03 August 2008 11:28 Go to previous message
Hometaper is currently offline  Hometaper
Esquire
I guess you're right, I probably should just judge it by ear.

By the way, these are not commercial cassettes, they're amateur recordings of original music, so the signal was messy & unreliable to begin with. Therefore, as you pointed out, even if I knew how it was recorded I might as well play it back with whatever settings sound best.

Thanks for the advice!

Previous Topic: 10 Most Watched Turntable Auctions on Ebay
Next Topic: It's digitally calibrated!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:15:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers