Home » Audio » Source » SD Cards
SD Cards [message #13970] Mon, 08 October 2007 12:08 Go to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
I have a few SD cards, but I plan to get some more for storing MP3s. I've also seen a new kind of SD card. I think it's designed for gaming. Does anybody here know how it's different from the old one?

Re: SD Cards [message #13971 is a reply to message #13970] Mon, 08 October 2007 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

SDHC flash memory cards larger than 2Gb are designed around a different standard than earlier models smaller than 2Gb, and they aren't backward compatible. Gaming cards are SDHC versions.

Re: SD Cards [message #13972 is a reply to message #13971] Sat, 13 October 2007 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
So 2 gig is the maximum size I can use in my existing hardware... That's still twice as big as the hard drive on my first computer.

Re: SD Cards [message #13973 is a reply to message #13972] Sat, 13 October 2007 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No doubt. It's amazing how much capacity these little flash cards have.

Re: SD Cards [message #13975 is a reply to message #13973] Mon, 15 October 2007 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
I am amazed about the technological advances that are made with SD cards. They can hold more than space than older computer, thats cool(LOL).

Re: SD Cards [message #13978 is a reply to message #13975] Thu, 18 October 2007 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanTheMan is currently offline  DanTheMan
Viscount
I just saw a 4 gb card barely larger than a fingernail. I had trouble believing it.

Re: SD Cards [message #13980 is a reply to message #13978] Fri, 19 October 2007 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slbender is currently offline  slbender
Chancellor
Not that this has ANYTHING related to Reel to Reel, but:

That fingernail sized card would likely be a Micro SD card some cell phones and MP3 players use them. Regular size SD memory cards and the SDHC cards, as well as the older MMC cards from which SD is derived (and the updated MMC+ cards which for all intents and purposes is an SD card clone without the "lock" or read only notch and some extra pins) as all are the same size except for thickness, where the MMC's and MMC+ are thinner. All four types of these cards have a possible storage capacity of 32GB, but memory chips are not dense enough to make that size... yet.

The MMC and SD cards, and MMC+ all use FAT16; the SDHC cards which are spec'd for capacities from 4GB to 32GB uses FAT32, therein lies the incompatibility. An SDHC socket should be capable of using any of these cards; while an SD socket should be capable of using an MMC, MMC+, and SD card, but not SDHC. Older MMC specific slots may have existed at some point years ago, but SD is the most common card slot seen.

While all MMC and SD cards (and MMC+) up to and including 1GB cards are supposed to be "fully compatible" in an SD slot, it turns out that not all devices that take SD cards will take MMC or MMC+ cards. They really are supposed to, but its just a fact that some devices refuse an MMC or MMC+ card, so check you manual and/or with the manufacturer first.

So while MMC and MMC+ card compatibility might be device dependent; on the high end, the 2GB card poses another difficulty for SD's FAT16, so some early devices also may not be 2GB card compatible, again, it depends on how the firmware in the camera or device was written.

I have two different brand digital cameras that say SD cards up to 512MB can be used in the manual. In one camera the 1GB MMC+ card, 1GB SD card, & 2GB SD cards work just fine; while the other camera refuses the 1GB MMC+ card; yet works fine with both 1GB & 2GB SD cards. Weird!

With the 2GB card installed one camera tells me I will get a total of 730 5 mega-pixel size photo's; or 10,472 VGA sized photo's; while the other camera says I'll get 812 5 mega-pixel sized photo's; still, the card manufacturer says 832, so YMMV.

Beyond that, some 4GB SD cards are available, but officially, they are non-standard being that they are way beyond the current spec for SD's FAT16. I don't have any, so I've never tested any. So, 4GB cards may not be recognized as 4GB; or may not be recognized at all; or may not work in some SD card devices; but they may work in SDHC card capable devices.

SD Sockets can also use SD micro hard drives, and other stuff, if the pins are made proprietary and/or the software embedded in the device is written to access the non-SD memory card device, so its rarely used, but it is possible.

-Steven L. Bender, Designer of Vintage Audio Equipment

Re: SD Cards [message #13982 is a reply to message #13980] Mon, 22 October 2007 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
Thanks for the information Dan the man. You are the man for finding this for the readers here. Learn something new here everyday that I'm here.

Crystal

Re: SD Cards [message #13983 is a reply to message #13982] Fri, 26 October 2007 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanTheMan is currently offline  DanTheMan
Viscount
don't look at me, that was slBender. He's the man. Mine is just a moniker

Re: SD Cards [message #62835 is a reply to message #13970] Sat, 22 May 2010 11:07 Go to previous message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
I just got a new cell phone and it has a mini SD card in it. I love it because I can save games and mp3's to that instead of the phone. Plus I can use the adapter that came with it and use it in my computer or on my Wii.
Previous Topic: Victor Victrola
Next Topic: turntable problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:06:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout