Home » Audio » Source » Magnacord rack mounted 2 deck from 50's
Magnacord rack mounted 2 deck from 50's [message #13955] Fri, 10 August 2007 15:18 Go to next message
JVene is currently offline  JVene
Esquire
I'm looking for info (model, sources, descriptions), or anything you might recognize, from the following description of a magnacord deck from the 50's (or older, I suppose) used typically in U.S. radio stations.

Back in the mid to late 60's, my father purchased some equipment from a radio station after it was re-equipped. In the mix was a rack (I was a kid and it seemed 10 feet tall, but probably about 6 feet), equipped with two magnacord decks (at least I recall the two electronic rack pieces were magnacord).

Each deck could handle 14" reels (10" reels looked small in this thing). The decks mounted such that the reels were top/bottom, not left/right like usual decks. The tape threaded through the heads on the right of the reels, had a twin capstan drive, typically half track mono, with a foil sensitive auto-reverse.

The electronics were designed such that when the tape on the top deck completed, the bottom deck would take over.

The decks did resemble, vaguely, an old Ampex deck mounted 90 degrees counter clockwise, but the Ampex didn't have dual capstan drives.

Anyone recognize this description? It's possible the decks were some other brand, but the electronics were magnacord, I don't know.

Re: Magnacord rack mounted 2 deck from 50's [message #13958 is a reply to message #13955] Mon, 13 August 2007 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, that's definitely cool. Does it work?

Re: Magnacord rack mounted 2 deck from 50's [message #13968 is a reply to message #13958] Thu, 20 September 2007 20:08 Go to previous message
JVene is currently offline  JVene
Esquire
I'm just trying to find information on what this thing might have been.

I don't have one anymore. It was an amazing thing to watch and use, like a 48 Ford.

I'm asking if anyone recognizes anything recognizes what I'm describing and maybe even has one.

Previous Topic: vintage table?
Next Topic: Cheap Digital Scales for turntable setup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:39:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout