Home » Audio » Source » quarter inch tape deck question
quarter inch tape deck question [message #13888] Wed, 11 October 2006 22:12 Go to next message
radman16 is currently offline  radman16
Esquire
Hi!

I hope I may find some help here... I am looking for some info on how to transfer rather antique (late 50's, early 60's) home recording, consumer-level 1/4" reel tapes to digital. I need to find a deck that will accomplish this. At this point, I need to find a tech info on what machine to look for. If any of you audiophiles could point me in the right direction (more appropriate forum or info), I'd appreciate it big time. Thanks!

Rad

Re: quarter inch tape deck question [message #13889 is a reply to message #13888] Sat, 14 October 2006 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Reel-to-reel decks like you're talking about are still pretty popular with audiophiles. I still have a Panasonic RT-909 and I like it a lot. You might look for one for yourself. Try eBay and Audiogon.

Re: quarter inch tape deck question [message #13896 is a reply to message #13888] Sun, 28 January 2007 12:51 Go to previous message
Listens2tubes is currently offline  Listens2tubes
Esquire
Do you know if the tapes are Stereo or Mono? Tapes of that vintage are most likely 2-track Stereo which newer 4-track Stereo machines may noy be able to play. Some older machines like Magnecord are switchable for 2 or 4 track playback.

Previous Topic: Denon DP-37F
Next Topic: unstable platter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 09:15:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout