Home » Audio » Source » I picked up an interesting deck
I picked up an interesting deck [message #13845] Mon, 16 January 2006 18:53 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
It's a Yamaha KX 500U. What's interesting to me is it comes with a remote. I never paid any attention to cassette decks after I bought my HK 1000 back in the early 70's so this one caught my eye. I paid 30.00 for it and it makes even my old home recorded tapes sound ok. I like the auto bias feature as they claim it recognizes whatever type of tape you put in it. I have a question, did any high end cassette decks ever come with auto reverse? I heard the reasons against auto reverse in quality decks I'm just curious if anyone ever worked around the problems with auto reversing?

Re: I picked up an interesting deck [message #13846 is a reply to message #13845] Tue, 17 January 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Does your deck retain its alignment in both directions? That's the problem with auto-reverse - It has a tendency to knock itself out of alignment, have intermittent alignment or be aligned in one direction only.

I dig decks with adjustable bias. Makes all the difference in the world. Auto-bias is possible, since the idea is to set bias where response is right. So perhaps the deck senses the output of the playback head and adjusts bias for best response. Do recordings sound good with various tapes?

Re: I picked up an interesting deck [message #13847 is a reply to message #13846] Tue, 17 January 2006 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
This one is not auto reverse. I was just wondering if anyone had built a high end deck that had solved the problems inherent with auto reversing. This deck isn't a high end deck I'm sure. I'm just surprised that it plays my old Maxell tapes so well. Some aren't even the UD tapes. Long before CRo2 and metal etc. So far it sounds good with UD, std and Cro2 tapes. It beats out my Akai GX 75.

Re: I picked up an interesting deck [message #13848 is a reply to message #13847] Wed, 18 January 2006 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have a Sony KA1ESA. Bought it maybe five ago or so. It's inexpensive and sounds great.

Re: I picked up an interesting deck [message #13849 is a reply to message #13848] Wed, 18 January 2006 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I read the review and it seems like a very good deck for the money. The one I have probably falls in line somewhere below that one I'm sure.

Re: I picked up an interesting deck [message #13860 is a reply to message #13846] Tue, 25 April 2006 09:21 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The Nak Dragon solved the auto reverse problem by fliping the tape mechanically!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Technics 1900 HELP
Next Topic: Thorens TD 105 - HELP!!!!!!!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:03:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio