Home » Audio » Source » Old Zenith Turntable troubleshooting help
Old Zenith Turntable troubleshooting help [message #13776] Thu, 09 April 2009 20:05 Go to next message
wellwellwell is currently offline  wellwellwell
Esquire
I just got my hands on an old Zenith Allegro HR596W, I'm assuming from the 70's. Seems to be in good shape generally but the turntable doesn't run. I took it apart and I can see the motor spinning but it's not activating anything. How should go about troubleshooting this?

Also, this is the first turntable I've come across that doesn't spin freely when you manually push the wheel. It feels loose enough if I keep my finger on it and turn it around, but if I give it a good whirl and let go, it goes around at best one full turn. I don't see anything obstructing it underneath and I've applied some oil to it but that didn't do much. Is this a clue to something or are some turntables just like that?

Re: Old Zenith Turntable troubleshooting help [message #13777 is a reply to message #13776] Thu, 09 April 2009 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wellwellwell is currently offline  wellwellwell
Esquire
By the way, it's direct drive.

Re: Old Zenith Turntable troubleshooting help [message #13778 is a reply to message #13777] Fri, 10 April 2009 21:53 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you can see a motor spinning when the platter is off, then it's probably driven by an idler wheel. Direct drive turntables use the platter as the armature, which is part of the motor. Without the platter installed, the motor is incomplete and there is nothing to see spinning.

If direct drive, the platter should spin freely with no power applied. If driven by an idler wheel, it probably shouldn't unless the speed selector is positioned between 33 and 45, where the wheel is transitioning between drive surfaces.

Previous Topic: Garrard 42 Turntable
Next Topic: Denon DP-37F
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:36:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout