Home » Audio » Source » Can anyone help me out
Can anyone help me out [message #13760] Tue, 31 March 2009 20:09 Go to next message
Jesse is currently offline  Jesse
Esquire
Ok, I have been getting more and more into vinyl and high def audio and was wondering what I need to get my own set-up started. I own a pair of AKG-K701 Headphones that have been rocking my world through my fathers McIntosh system, and am thinking that I'll probably just be listening through those headphones instead of speakers. I am looking at a Technics SL1200MLK2 turntable, but am wondering what else I will need besides that and the headphones to get listening. Any suggestions on quality, affordable gear would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Can anyone help me out [message #13762 is a reply to message #13760] Tue, 31 March 2009 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You'll need a preamp with a phono level input. You can also get a phono stage separately.

On a budget, something like the NAD preamps will do fine, sound pretty good. You can also look at tube gear, which sounds real sweet and is beautiful and nostalgic to look at (like a warm fireplace). Tube gear is a little more expensive though. If you want to hook up speakers, you'll also need a main amplifier. Could go for an all-in-one solution by getting a receiver with phono stage input. Those were very popular in the 1970's and 1980's. Lots of good deals on eBay.

Re: Can anyone help me out [message #13764 is a reply to message #13762] Wed, 01 April 2009 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Are there any decent tube preamps out there for under $750?

Phono Stage for Headphones [message #13765 is a reply to message #13764] Wed, 01 April 2009 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can find tube phono stage amps for under $750. For example, I use a Pro-Ject 12AX7 phono stage and really like it. The thing is, it is really designed to be used to provide a signal to a preamp that doesn't already have phono stage inputs. It would probably drive headphones, but wasn't designed for that.

You might be happier with something like the Bellari VP-530, which has a headphone output and volume control built-in. You can also connect it to a preamp or receiver, or even to your computer USB port. That's handy for making archival copies of vinyl albums on CD.

Re: Phono Stage for Headphones [message #13766 is a reply to message #13765] Wed, 01 April 2009 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Is the bellari's headphone jack for a 1/4" plug?

Re: Phono Stage for Headphones [message #13767 is a reply to message #13766] Wed, 01 April 2009 18:59 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, the headphone output is provided by a standard 1/4" jack.

Previous Topic: need turntable
Next Topic: Turntable doesn't spin at right speed. Help!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 04:18:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio