Home » Audio » Source » How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record?
How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record? [message #13754] Tue, 31 March 2009 05:07 Go to next message
david is currently offline  david
Chancellor
I recently purchased a Garrard 440M record changer turntable. I want to play stacks of 33 1/3 and 45 rpm records. I have the long spindle and a 45 automatic adaptor, so I can stack either kind of record. Here's my problem. No matter which way I turn the adjustment screw at the base of the tone arm, I end up with either the needle falling too far in (missing the beginning of the first track) on the lp's or too far out (missing the outer edge) of the 45's. No happy medium. I owned a previous Garrard 440M and never had this problem. Is there a way to fix this? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

Re: How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record? [message #13756 is a reply to message #13754] Tue, 31 March 2009 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Talking about the screw at the base of the tone arm, are you sure that's not anti-skate? If it's an anti-skate adjustment, that's not what you want to change for needle auto setdown and/or pickup position.

Tracking weight and anti-skate should be set as shown in the links below. Auto pickup and setdown is another adjustment, usually located inside the body somewhere.

Re: How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record? [message #13757 is a reply to message #13756] Tue, 31 March 2009 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
What do you think of this?

nat

The 45/33 switch should actuate a mechanism that selects the correct set down point for each type of record. Probably its stuck because of dried grease, and as you have already discovered, the set down adjustment screw only fine tunes the point. There may be a manual for your Garrard or a similar vintage one, and it could lead you to the actual part that needs loosening up.

dac10012

I suspected as much. And it takes a great deal of force to move the lever between 33 1/3 and 45. I don't have a manual, of course. I am handy though. Is this something that could be fixed with Wd-40 or do I need some sort of special grease? I haven't even looked at the underside to see if the parts are easily accessible or I may have to remove the whole mechanism from the base first? Thanks again.

Re: How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record? [message #13759 is a reply to message #13757] Tue, 31 March 2009 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Makes sense to me. Clean and lubricate the mechanism, always a good idea.

Re: How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record? [message #13761 is a reply to message #13759] Tue, 31 March 2009 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I ordered the turntable manual. While I'm waiting, does anyone know how to get the turntable off the base so I can get at the speed switching mechanism so I can lubricate it? Thanks.

Re: How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record? [message #13763 is a reply to message #13761] Tue, 31 March 2009 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Here's an online manual that may help. It's not the same model, but it is a Garrard table so it may prove useful.

Re: How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record? [message #13768 is a reply to message #13763] Thu, 02 April 2009 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I got the turntable off the base by adjusting the clips that hold it in from horizontal to vertical, so they pass through the holes. Now I need to fix the problem with the tone arm dropping the needle at the beginning of both 33 1/3 and 45 records, which it doesn't now.

Someone said:
"The cuing problem does sound like wear on an end stop which stops the arm as it swings around and allows it to drop down on the record surface and is probablly adjustable from underneath the chassis."

My reply:
"Your answer makes more sense to me than the other suggestions I have gotten regarding lubrication of the speed changing mechanism. Where do I find the end stop(s?) Are there different ones for each speed?"

If you know the answer, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Re: How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record? [message #13769 is a reply to message #13768] Thu, 02 April 2009 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree. Cleaning and lubricating the mechanism is always good, but the problem is probably that the stops have worn or moved.

Re: How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record? [message #13773 is a reply to message #13769] Tue, 07 April 2009 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Wayne. Well, I finally got the manual for my Garrard 440M but I don't see anything that would tell me where the stops are. I'm about ready to give up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Re: How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record? [message #13774 is a reply to message #13773] Wed, 08 April 2009 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd look at the mechanism to identify the stops. There has to be something that senses the edges of the record, both inner and outer, a sensor or switch that contacts a cam or stop.

You might be best off to contact Gararrd501.com and ask those folks. Please report back when you do, as we're all interested in the solution you eventually find.

Previous Topic: Denon DP-37F
Next Topic: Need help w/ Pioneer PL-L70
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:28:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout