Home » Audio » Source » Turntable runs at 34 RPM
Turntable runs at 34 RPM [message #13748] Sun, 22 March 2009 01:25 Go to next message
eogas is currently offline  eogas
Esquire
I've bought a friend's cheap Audio Technica turntable and I noticed that, in comparing the sound to an mp3 or a CD, the turntable is a little higher pitched. I counted off the rotations for a minute and got 34, not 33, so I guess it's running just a smidgen too fast. Does anyone have an easy hack to get it back to 33? It's belt driven and doesn't have a fine speed adjustment. I've already tried adding a thin strip of tape to the drive wheel and the table itself to no avail. It's always 34.

Re: Turntable runs at 34 RPM [message #13749 is a reply to message #13748] Sun, 22 March 2009 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eogas is currently offline  eogas
Esquire
In case anyone was wondering, I got this fixed by my own fiddling. I still don't know why it was running too fast. It could just be because it's such a low end table. I got it running just a little bit over 33.3 by adding strips of duct tape to the underside of the platter where the belt meets it. This changed the gear ratio ever so slightly, and I'm please with the result. I can tell, by comparing it to a digital recording, that it's still running a tiny too fast, but it's good enough for my purposes.

Re: Turntable runs at 34 RPM [message #61133 is a reply to message #13748] Thu, 01 October 2009 13:50 Go to previous message
dkelley is currently offline  dkelley
Esquire
for anyone reading this in the future, most turntable motors have a recessed screw to adjust the motor speed. or sometimes there is an extra circuit board with a speed adjustment screw on it.

check vinylengine or similar sites for their turntable database in case there is a freely downloadable service manual available for your model, it helps a lot.

And hi by the way, my first post here (and no I'm no expert, but I do know a few things so I'll help where I can).

the duct tape, while clever, could in theory be uneven and creating a fluctuating speed overall, so I'd look into the speed control pot if I were the OP.

can't hurt to look Smile

cheers,
Don
Previous Topic: Kenwood KD-500/Grace 707, Cartridge replacement suggestions
Next Topic: Is SACD dead?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:06:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio