Home » Audio » Source » Hears local radio station using turntable
Hears local radio station using turntable [message #13737] Fri, 26 December 2008 11:03 Go to next message
PittsburghRick is currently offline  PittsburghRick
Esquire
When I use my Thorens TD 190, I also hear a local radio station. If I touch the tonearm or the grounding wire, the radio reception is much improved (wrong way if I want to solve the problem). Attaching the grounding wire to my radiator/baseboard heating unit gets the best reception of all. Using a shielded cable to connect to the receiver cut down on the radio reception a little. I also have similar problems when using wireless headphones most places in my house (different base station and headphone placements).

The problem didn't occur with my previous (very cheap and old) turntable. Is there some sort of more general shielding that I could try? Would a different phone cartridge (using stock Otophon OMB 10) be a good thing to try?

Re: Hears local radio station using turntable [message #13738 is a reply to message #13737] Fri, 26 December 2008 16:51 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

RFI can be a problem in phono circuits, since they need such high gain. I suggest making sure all connections are good, clean and snug. You may want to lift the ground connection at the headshell, but leave the connection in place at the phono stage preamp input. As a last resort, trying inserting some series resistance in each line, something like 4.7kΩ for a MC cartridge.

Previous Topic: Pioneer RT-909 Reel to Reel - advice required
Next Topic: which CD player to buy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:58:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout