Home » Audio » Source » More Audio-Technica 440MLA, a review, kinda
More Audio-Technica 440MLA, a review, kinda [message #13719] Thu, 14 August 2008 23:10 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have about 10 hours on it now and it actually required lowering the arm about an 1/8" to maintain parallel so I suppose the suspension is pretty well broken in.

Imaging has improved and the tonality is more even from top to bottom; the exciting mid-range is diminished but the cart is still quite lively. There's lots of treble extension, cymbals shimmer nicely, flutes and trumpets sound like...flutes and trumpets.

The fruitcakes over on that Asylum place are extolling the virtues of the Grado Black today. I've had one for some years and keep it as a reminder of how bad a cartridge can be. It can be summed up in 3 words: dull, grey and lifeless. These are the same guys that think the Denon 103 is better than Koetsus and spend hundreds of dollars dressing it up in wood and epoxy and aluminum. The same Filberts say the 440MLA has no top or bottom. Did they all do their service in the Field Artillery?

Midway through listening to the complete La Traviata tonight, Anna Moffo, Robert Merrill and Richard Tucker, I swapped out the 440 for the Grado Sonata which is definitely waaay better. There can't be anything better than Opera for evaluating a cartridge: great big stage, voice, acoustic instruments and performers moving around. Compared to the 5 times more expensive Sonata, the 440MLA has a harder, somewhat steely edge to transients, less nuance to the imaging and lacks the ability to convey the loveliness of the bel canto singing style.

The 440 really rocks, tho'. Played Queen, Jazz, at fairly high volume this afternoon. Dynamite show, right here on Justice Ridge! Linda Ronstadt sounded great, too, inflamed adenoids and all.

For "headbangers" with lesser 80's tables like the Marantz 6100/6300 or various Technics and Sonys, the 440MLA should be hard to beat at 100 bucks. More serious rigs deserve a more serious cartridge.

Re: More Audio-Technica 440MLA, a review, kinda [message #13720 is a reply to message #13719] Fri, 15 August 2008 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Compelling. I may have to try one of those. The price is certainly right.

Now that I think about it, it has been a while since I used the 20SL. Time to break it out again...

Re: More Audio-Technica 440MLA, a review, kinda [message #13747 is a reply to message #13720] Mon, 16 March 2009 07:25 Go to previous message
rayr0683 is currently offline  rayr0683
Esquire
I couldn't agree more. I too frequent the Asylum, and yes, the Denon's you'd think are a gift from God. More so than any of the AT cartridges. I have a Grado Signature TLZ, similar to the Sonata, much more expensive than the AT440......and I have to say, that on certain music, the cheaper 440 sounds better. Music such as Pink Floyd...especially Dark Side....along with other more Bass or Deeper sounding music. Great cartridge for the price....BTW, I never owned a Denon....but have had and loved the AT-OC9....Ray

Previous Topic: Technics SL BD22
Next Topic: CAL Icon CD player
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:58:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout