Home » Audio » Source » Maybe I should get counseling
Maybe I should get counseling [message #13715] Wed, 13 August 2008 22:22 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
but I just couldn't resist:

The 9" model arrived yesterday, must wait until the 4Pis are done to make an armboard, then I'll find out what a 37 gram massed arm sounds like.

Beautifully made, I've had my eye on it for over a year, the iconoclastic maker, Len, known as Saltboxe, says it's the result of many long conversations with Grados octogenarioan chief designer.

Note the cueing lever near the fulcrum and think about how clever that is. He added the one near the cart in response to convention.

Re: Maybe I should get counseling [message #13718 is a reply to message #13715] Thu, 14 August 2008 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, Bill, that's awesome! I've always had a metal tone arm. I'd love to hear yours. Maybe we can get you out here for LSAF 2009?!!

Re: Maybe I should get counseling [message #13725 is a reply to message #13715] Tue, 16 September 2008 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
So Bill, it's been some time with the wooden arm, how's she doing?

Re: Maybe I should get counseling [message #13726 is a reply to message #13725] Tue, 16 September 2008 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Some funny stuff going on. With the arm height set and the pillar tightened down, the wires want to pull the arm outward, but only on the first 1/4 of an album so there's some distortion at first and then the rest of the record sounds really great. I haven't had time to really play with it (haven't tried the Sonata yet, just the Ace) but I do know the arm sounds better with the pillar NOT tightened down to the armboard. There doesn't seem to be enough wire behind the arm for enough 'play', either that or the gauge is too heavy. I'm not sure if it's 28 or 33 ga. Once I check that out I should be able to bend the wire where it needs to be or re-wire with some XLO 33ga.

I'm having fun. I'm even going to make another armboard for the SME III, thinking maybe the wood (walnut) has something to do with the good sound. That has me wondering if my 12" midi-lathe can handle turning a walnut platter!

Re: Maybe I should get counseling [message #13730 is a reply to message #13715] Fri, 14 November 2008 22:30 Go to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I love wooden tonearms! I just spotted this post (don't know how I missed it before). That is a lovely looking arm! I have the original Grado Professional arm made of wood and just love it, too. Something about a well made wooden arm just sounds so musically correct.

Dave

Previous Topic: line up tape on R2R
Next Topic: equiv replacement for signet tk7lca stylus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:06:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers