Home » Audio » Source » Turntable Power Source Question
Turntable Power Source Question [message #13686] Sun, 15 June 2008 17:27 Go to next message
Dan C. is currently offline  Dan C.
Esquire
I will start off by saying that I have NO previous experience with or knowledge of turntables.
I recently purchased a turntable along with several records at a garage sale, for old time's sake. However, I'm having a bit of a problem getting it to work. From what I can tell, it is a reasonably new turntable (I would say mid-90s?) and is a Magnavox AK-590.
It has three cables coming out of the back: the standard red/white audio cables, and then a cable that needs to give it power. It has your standard looking male AC adaptor plug, but I don't know where to plug it in. It looks like something you would plug INTO a turntable or other device to give it power. Neither my nor my roommate's receivers have any sort of jack that would work to plug it into.
I need either some sort of adaptor or...just SOMETHING to get this thing working. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dan C.

Re: Turntable Power Source Question [message #13728 is a reply to message #13686] Fri, 31 October 2008 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rokarolla is currently offline  rokarolla
Esquire
I'm trying to figure out the same thing myself. I bought a 12 volt dc 100 milli-amp (mA) power supply at the thrift store. I'm going to cut the heads off both the record player plug and the adapter plug, strip the wires, and connect the white lined wire to the white lined wire. Only thing is the player might not be dc but ac. The colored part of the electric wire goes from solid white to dotted lines and then back, alternating every inch or so. I'm going to do another few minutes of research before I connect. Write me if you still have your player and you wan to know how it went.

Re: Turntable Power Source Question [message #13729 is a reply to message #13728] Sun, 02 November 2008 15:19 Go to previous message
Dan C. is currently offline  Dan C.
Esquire
Oh, I probably should have updated this!
I did a similar thing, just cut open both an adapter and the plug and spliced them, plugged it in and it works fine!
Thanks, though.

Previous Topic: Tonearm Help! Tech. SL-D2
Next Topic: Sony TC650
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:03:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers