Home » Audio » Source » Ya can't fly on one wing, right?
Ya can't fly on one wing, right? [message #13634] Sat, 26 January 2008 18:13 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My VPI came with a Grado Platinum which I sold to lower the acquisition cost. I didn't really need the money but the cart wasn't that great sounding and left me with a cost that trumps nearly any good deal I've ever made.

So now I have just the Benz Ace and I'm thinking the Platinum' mid-range was aweful nice, SB's Sonata had that plus better treble; maybe I should get a Sonata or even the next one up. Grado has a great trade-up policy with full credit, at least thru' Acoustic Sounds.

Friday I'm all set to pull the trigger on the $800 (-10%) low output (who can remember all those names?) when, on Audiogon, up pops a new-in-the-box CA Virtuoso Wood for less than 1/2 price, $365. I really liked my Aurum Beta S until I broke it, Reina made it a Class "B" and several VA-ers agreed. I bought it.

In a few days I'll have 2 carts again, one low output coil, the Ace and the highish output moving magnet Virtuoso. I think my low mass SME III is going to like the low mass, 6 grams, cart and its high, 15cu, compliance. We'll see.

Re: Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood arrived [message #13641 is a reply to message #13634] Sat, 02 February 2008 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That all-important first impression: the Wood has less clarity and bass weight than the moving coil Ace but a silkier mid-range and easier highs.

Lots of break-in to go and usually bass fills in no matter the component. If the clarity gets better it's a replacement, if not, an alternative.

Re: Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood arrived [message #13642 is a reply to message #13641] Sun, 03 February 2008 11:01 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Crossing my finger on that one. The price is surely right. Thanks, Bill, for your impressions of that cartridge.

Previous Topic: Series 20/Grace 704 tonearm, Grado Gold
Next Topic: Should I get an Audio-Technics AT-PL120?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 16:11:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio