Home » Audio » Source » Should I get an Audio-Technics AT-PL120?
Should I get an Audio-Technics AT-PL120? [message #13599] Tue, 04 December 2007 13:34 Go to next message
Mark J. is currently offline  Mark J.
Esquire
Hi,all. I hope someone can help me decide if this is the right turntable for me. I am asking for a turntable for Christmas, and I'm having a tough time figuring out which one. All manual is fine, but I require a cue lever, and I like being able to adjust the counterweight, anti-skating,etc. so many don't have a cue lever. I'll be connecting directly to my computer to convert to wav files, but I don't like the cheap USB turntables I've seen everywhere. My budget is around $200-$250 (I know, it's not much for a turntable), and I've got my eye on the Audio-Technica AT-PL120. I read good things about it, but I'm afraid of ground loop hum, as some people seem to have this problem with that model, and others do not. Anybody have any advice? If I had to pick up a cheap pre-amp in order to filter out the hum, I would, even though it has one built in, but what scares me is that the AT-PL120 has no ground wire. Should I be concerned? Other than that, I like everything else about it (except the hard-wired cables). Are there other models I should consider with similar features, or is this the best value ($170 at Amazon)?

Re: Should I get an Audio-Technics AT-PL120? [message #13600 is a reply to message #13599] Wed, 05 December 2007 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
real_one is currently offline  real_one
Baron
A friend of mine bought one of those a couple months back. When he told me about it, I first thought it was one of those cheapo tables (it is actually) but it turns out to be pretty good. Now don't take that to mean I think it compares with a Teres table but it is in the same league as the lower priced Technics tables. I'd give it a thumbs up, probably best thing new in the < $250 range. There's no ground wire because it has a built-in phono stage so it isn't needed. The shielding on the interconnects is all that's needed. I don't know that you even have access to the cartridge level signals.

Re: Should I get an Audio-Technics AT-PL120? [message #13644 is a reply to message #13599] Fri, 08 February 2008 05:26 Go to previous message
netaces2k is currently offline  netaces2k
Esquire
My dad has one of those, a silver AT-PL120. That table is very nice in my opinion. He had a Realistic LAB-500 some years back, which for it's day was a real nice turntable. I got to use that and liked it a whole lot. The PL120 is a very feature rich table. I somewhat resent, the other poster telling everyone, that a AT is a 'cheapo'. I wonder what they would about that. But, having heard the PL120 and seen it in action. i'm impressed. The idea of a $1,000.00 turntable, is utter crap. There is no justification for wasting that much money.

Previous Topic: Ya can't fly on one wing, right?
Next Topic: Rega on ebay
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 20:42:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout