Home » Audio » Source » Woohoo! Brought home my new turntable today
Woohoo! Brought home my new turntable today [message #13571] Sat, 27 October 2007 15:50 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

The apogee of HW-19s from 1992:

VPI HW-19 MK IV with viscous-damped SME III arm, Grado Platinum cartridge, Stand-Alone Motor and PLC power line conditioner.

This last of the line has the TNT heavy platter and super armboard.

I was able to travel just 70 miles (HAH!) to pick it up from a terrific new audio friend, Herman Ford, on the south side of Cleveland. Before packing it up we sat and listened to Ben Webster and a RED disc Count Basie. Yeah!

Turns out Herman just returned from RMAF, his third, and related some of his impressions. He's got a Scheu on order to replace the VPI and settle in with his Cary components and B&W speakers. Nice rig!

Re: Woohoo! Brought home my new turntable today [message #13572 is a reply to message #13571] Sun, 28 October 2007 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very nice, Bill! I really like those VPI tables.

Re: Grado Platinum [message #13573 is a reply to message #13572] Sun, 28 October 2007 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Sepia tinted mid-range, less than stellar treble extension and somewhat over-emphasized bass; what a fabulous sound.

Made for Jazz. Listening to Count Basie, Dizzy Gillespie, Ray Brown and Mickey Roker: "The Gifted Ones" Heard it a dozen times with the Technics/Benz Ace combo. The Trumpet is less a Trumpet with it but overall, and especially the best cymbals ever, a gas!

I do miss the flexibility of interchangeable headshells and a higher mass arm but I can always make another armboard. Too, the HW-19 seems to store and release bass energy with a vengeance so the darkish Platinum may not be quite the best match on the bottom. But really, except further up the Grado line, what else is there?

Sepia tinted mid-range [message #13574 is a reply to message #13573] Mon, 29 October 2007 18:32 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sepia tinted mid-range? There's a new phrase. Congrats on the new table....C

Previous Topic: Setting up a turn table
Next Topic: Having a comeback?!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:45:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio