Home » Audio » Source » Technics SL-220 Very low volume output!
Technics SL-220 Very low volume output! [message #13539] Thu, 11 October 2007 13:28 Go to next message
Y. Kang is currently offline  Y. Kang
Esquire
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a heavily used Technics SL-220 from craigslist. The owner told me that it played fine but when I hooked it up on my reciever I get a very low volume output (even with my Sony reciever on max volume, it's really soft). Now I know that the SL-220 has a ground wire but I don't have a way to connect it to the reciever -- is that what's causing the low volume??

I was looking through the forum and it looks like i can use a pre-amp -- can it be any pre-amp like this one? http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PP-999-Phono-Turntable-Pre-Amp/dp/B00025742A

Dunno if i should just trash this one and just buy a new turn table.

Thanks in advance,

Kang

Re: Technics SL-220 Very low volume output! [message #13540 is a reply to message #13539] Thu, 11 October 2007 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like you need a phono stage. The one you mentioned will work just fine. There are others too, so look through the posts in the link below:

As for the ground connection, it is used to reduce hum. If your phono preamp has a ground lug, hook it there. If not, connect it to the chassis of your receiver.

Re: Technics SL-220 Very low volume output! [message #13549 is a reply to message #13540] Thu, 18 October 2007 00:33 Go to previous message
Y. Kang is currently offline  Y. Kang
Esquire
I just got it in the mail, it works great! Thanks

Previous Topic: Marantz SLT 12
Next Topic: Gemini tt02 problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:20:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio