Home » Audio » Source » Technics SL1500 problem - down a channel or ?
Technics SL1500 problem - down a channel or ? [message #13496] Thu, 30 August 2007 22:14 Go to next message
themrocker is currently offline  themrocker
Esquire

Hi,

Picked this up a rather cheaply and seems in goodish shape. Quick hook-up with a head & cartridge from my usual SL 3200 provided only one speaker though - Left. On closer inspection the interior "pin" of the red output appears to blanked, ie it's not metal at all but red plastic, and I've not seen that before. Is it possible this turntable is wired differently somehow ? Mono perhaps ? Or is the headshell wiring different between models ?
I'm not adverse to taking it to bits if it's a loose wire somewhere but I'd like to know otherwise - pls feel free to set me straight if I'm missing something ?

For the record I cleaned the contact points on the lines out and also the spring loaded ones at the end of the arm - pretty sure those are not the problem. Was well grounded also.

Many thanks !
S.

Re: Technics SL1500 problem - down a channel or ? [message #13498 is a reply to message #13496] Fri, 31 August 2007 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Is the wire missing the connector or the cartridge? Looks like you know where to look - Something is wrong if a connector is missing.

Re: Technics SL1500 problem - down a channel or ? [message #13499 is a reply to message #13498] Fri, 31 August 2007 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Sorry, I'll clarify - It's the actual interior pin of the red RCA connector from the back of the turntable, marked "right". The rest of the connector is as per usual, ie made out of metal sitting in a plastic sheath, but the center pin itself is red plastic. Think it's supposed to be as it matches the exterior plastic perfectly and looks factory. Certainly doesn't look like a quick fix. Perhaps I should take the connector off and see just what's happening with the wires in there - ie how many.
Just to confirm; Can I expect the headshell wiring to remain the same between different models of Tecnics tables ?

Thanks again.

Re: Technics SL1500 problem - down a channel or ? [message #13504 is a reply to message #13499] Tue, 04 September 2007 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, one thing is for sure. If the center pin of the right channel's RCA connector isn't conductive, then you'll have no right channel output. Could be that the turntable was used for mono, I suppose.

Re: Technics SL1500 problem - down a channel or ? [message #13507 is a reply to message #13504] Tue, 04 September 2007 21:38 Go to previous message
Esquire
Think you're right Wayne; Cut the end off, put on a new connector, and I'm back to full stereo - I'm guessing this table was used for broadcast or something ? Pretty odd though...

Previous Topic: two funny sl-d2's in a row?
Next Topic: Questions/Help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:12:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout