Home » Audio » Source » two funny sl-d2's in a row?
two funny sl-d2's in a row? [message #13480] Sun, 26 August 2007 13:14 Go to next message
highdef is currently offline  highdef
Esquire
I bought my first turntable a month ago and while it played OK sometimes for even up to 15-20 minutes at a time, usually one of the channels would go out and I'd have to tap on the cover to bring them back. This would happen all the time. I tried two new needles, first an AT then a Shure with a new cartridge that was recommended on this forum, nothing changed. I switched the left-right cables going into the amp to make sure the problem is really in the turntable, I sprayed all connections with electrical cleaner. Then I decided it must be a short somewhere in the wiring and bought another turntable that arrived yesterday and it's doing the same exact thing! A channel goes out, I have to tap on the face to bring it back. I lifted the turntable off the receiver, tapping on the receiver does not bring the channels back, I have to tap on the turntable itself.
The craziest thing. Any ideas?

Re: two funny sl-d2's in a row? [message #13481 is a reply to message #13480] Mon, 27 August 2007 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you checked your connectors? Perhaps it is the RCA jack on the turntable.

Re: two funny sl-d2's in a row? [message #13487 is a reply to message #13481] Tue, 28 August 2007 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks-jiggling the connectors does not do anything. And these are two completely separate machines, different cartridges, different needles. It's not the receiver either because you have to tap on the turntable cover to get both channels to play right.
The level is right too.
Any more ideas?

Re: two funny sl-d2's in a row? [message #13492 is a reply to message #13487] Wed, 29 August 2007 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Find the problem by a process of elimination. If you have a scope, that will help because you can find where the signal stops when it happens. If you don't have a scope, you'll just have to swap things one at a time until you find it. Please let us know what you find.

Re: two funny sl-d2's in a row? [message #13501 is a reply to message #13492] Sat, 01 September 2007 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks--I'm wondering if I messed them both up by always lifting the arm off the record rather than using the stop button. Like I damaged something there. Does it work like this? I appreciate you guys' time,
J.

Re: two funny sl-d2's in a row? [message #13505 is a reply to message #13501] Tue, 04 September 2007 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can lift the needle off by hand. Most people do this. That won't hurt anything.

Look at the thread above called "Technics SL1500 problem - down a channel or ?". I'm beginning to wonder if some of these turntables haven't been sold as mono units, perhaps for DJ's that "scratch" or something.

Whatever the case, turntables aren't very hard to troubleshoot. Find where the signal stops and you'll know where the trouble is.

Re: two funny sl-d2's in a row? [message #13506 is a reply to message #13505] Tue, 04 September 2007 10:33 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks Wayne and everybody else who looked. I'll mess around with these some and report what I find.

Previous Topic: Rek-O-Kut project finished at last!
Next Topic: Technics SL1500 problem - down a channel or ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:11:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio