Home » Audio » Source » Issue: Unwanted Mono Playback
Issue: Unwanted Mono Playback [message #13471] Mon, 13 August 2007 10:38 Go to next message
audiophil is currently offline  audiophil
Esquire
Hey there,

Just put together my first setup. Im running a vintage 1970s Pioneer PL-12D turntable. through an inexpensive phono pre-amp, into a Sony Amp/Reciever into speakers.

When playing back stereo records (from 1970s and records of modern bands as well) im getting playback through both speakers however only one channel is coming through.

Taking for example the Beatles album "Rubber Soul" - track "Girl", both speakers are only playing one of two channels and the vocals are barely audible with the instrumentation clearly in the forefront. One of but many examples.

Where should I begin in my troubleshooting?

Re: Issue: Unwanted Mono Playback [message #13472 is a reply to message #13471] Tue, 14 August 2007 08:47 Go to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Something is wrong either at the cartridge wiring in the headshell, or possibly where the tonearm wires connect to the output sockets.I suspect that the Left and Right wires are wired in such a way to do as you describe. Double check that the cartridge is wired correctly, and no strands of wire are sticking out. Next, if you have a test meter, check that each wire has proper continuity by testing from the headshell end and at the output connector end. Make sure the red and white wires are the +, or center, of each output connector.

If this doesn't find the problem, re-post and we'll think of something else.

Dave

Previous Topic: Replacing belt on Tascam 133
Next Topic: Dual 1229 and 78s
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:06:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers