Home » Audio » Source » Dual 1229 and 78s
Dual 1229 and 78s [message #13469] Fri, 10 August 2007 12:27 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Over the last year I've picked up, amybe, 1000 78s, and I have yet to play a single one. Well, I'm picking up a Dual 1229 tonight (has 78 speed unlike my 2 Thornes tables) and need advice on 78 RPM playback. I know I need a 78-specific cart., but what else? Is there a nice, inexpensive pre that's specific to 78s that somebody can recommend? I see a number out there, but I rally don't know what's best for me (or what I'm really looking for.)

Also, I just found out I have about 50 Edison Diamond Discs . Unlike normal records that modulate side-to-side, these record up and down.....C

Re: Dual 1229 and 78s [message #13470 is a reply to message #13469] Fri, 10 August 2007 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, what a trip. I never knew there were records that modulated up and down. I assumed the recording cylinders did, because I've seen the recording mechanism. Now that I think about it, it makes sense that there would be a progression from that to disk that modulated up and down. I just never thought about it, and didn't know of such a beast.

I remember the old ceramic cartridges had two-sided needles that flipped over for 33/45 and 78 RPM operation. I assumed the issue was groove width, but never looked into that either. Do you know if that's the difference? If not, do you know what is?

Re: Dual 1229 and 78s [message #13473 is a reply to message #13470] Mon, 20 August 2007 14:37 Go to previous message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
If you want to play those 78 things you will have to get an equlizer.

I finally decided to digitize my 78s. This gives me a chance to see what kind of sound I get and do a little cleanup to make it listenable. When I look at the waveform and listen to Jazz, Bing Crosby or even Elvis 78s it seems that the equlization is different on all of them. There is stuff on the web about equlization curves by manufacturer, year and artist for 78s but I usually wind up winging it. You just have to do it yourself. expect a base boost of 5 DB and a high end cutoff at 8 to 12 kHz. I use web information on the “proper” equalization only as a general guide.

Anyway I did do a few web pages on this subject for what it’s worth:

some 78 stuff but it's real old and real bad:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/records/records.htm

and some more general stuff that's better:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/audio/audio.htm

and maybe a little LP stuff:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/lp/lp.htm

Previous Topic: Issue: Unwanted Mono Playback
Next Topic: Phono Cartridge
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:39:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations