Home » Audio » Source » Warped sounding: not the album, platter or belt...what is it??
Warped sounding: not the album, platter or belt...what is it?? [message #13436] Wed, 18 July 2007 15:44 Go to next message
GoblinJack is currently offline  GoblinJack
Esquire
Hey all, just bought my first turntable at age 20, being an audiophile (and analog enthusiast) and ready to hear the world's greatest music in analog!

So I found an MCS Series 6725 at a second hand electronics store, and put an album from 1976 on there, and it was sounding very warped. I put the album flat on a table, and it looked perfectly flat, no raised sections.

For some reason when its on the turntable, the record sways slightly vertically up then back down per each rotation. This must be causing the sound. BUT the platter, when no record is on there, spins perfectly flat. I aim to go by another album tonight to test it, but I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Its almost as if i need a weight to keep the record down flat...HELP!
thanks all!

Re: Warped sounding: not the album, platter or belt...what is it?? [message #13437 is a reply to message #13436] Wed, 18 July 2007 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hey all, turns out my dad had an amazingly better turntable down in the basement :P. So that problem is fixed, but I would still love to know if anyone knew the problem. Thanks all

Re: Warped sounding: not the album, platter or belt...what is it?? [message #13439 is a reply to message #13437] Wed, 18 July 2007 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Would be a worn or old belt, if TT is belt driven. Could also be a servo control or dirty/bad motor. You could try a record clamp. So, what kind of TT did your dad have hidden away?

Re: Warped sounding: not the album, platter or belt...what is it?? [message #13440 is a reply to message #13439] Thu, 19 July 2007 13:31 Go to previous message
Esquire
It's a Denon DP-11F, fully auto, quartz lock, stylus force control; a well oiled machine! The plexiglass cover is kinda scratched up, anyone got any advice for that?

Previous Topic: pitch control problem
Next Topic: Anti-skate weight replacement for Yamaha YP-701
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:31:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout